Oreodont Skull

Hawkeye

The summer before last a friend and I were hunting in the White River Badlands in Nebraska very near Toadstool Geologic Park. While walking back to the car, exhausted from the week of fossil hunting and our 6 mile walk through the sauna of the 95 degree in the shade Badlands, I spotted the turtle in my avatar on the side of a hill. While I was working the turtle out of the matrx my friend wandered up the hill and found this skull about 15 feet from where I was working.

I gave my friend a really nice Fairbairne agate, found on the trip, that he had been coveting and in return he gave me the skull. We both felt like we got the better specimen.

I never figured out exactly what this skull was so I thought I'd post it here and get some professional opinions. It is still in many pieces and I have stopped working on it until I can get it stabilized.

Where we found it...me getting the turtle and missing the skull

post-757-12519380218125_thumb.jpg

Here it is in situ

post-757-12519367103887_thumb.jpg

Here is the exposed side after it was collected

post-757-12519367595401_thumb.jpg

This is the protected side after some work

post-757-12519368060837_thumb.jpg

This is a view from the top

post-757-1251936835065_thumb.jpg

Close up of the dentition

post-757-12519368647947_thumb.jpg

Unattached jaw

post-757-1251936920008_thumb.jpg

post-757-12519369436174_thumb.jpg

I believe we were high enough to be in the Brule formation but I am not positive about that. We also found various large pieces of bones from 4-legged creatures and quite a few jaw fragments. Unfortunately, this was the last day of out week long trip and we were exhausted. We called it a day after only 5 hours. I think we did alright for the $35 dollars each it cost us to hunt on that property.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Wow, I found love to find a skull at some point. It is in very good shape too.

You lucked out hunting with someone who likes rocks more...:)

Welcome to the forum!

That is way cool, hope it preps out ok

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

AHHHHH that is sooo nice! That is one nice find!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Thats some really nice stuuf you found. I hunt in the Brule every year in tht area so if you have any general pictures of the area i might be able to help you with the Stratigraphy and the position in the formation you made your finds.

Guest Smilodon

I believe we were high enough to be in the Brule formation but I am not positive about that. We also found various large pieces of bones from 4-legged creatures and quite a few jaw fragments. Unfortunately, this was the last day of out week long trip and we were exhausted. We called it a day after only 5 hours. I think we did alright for the $35 dollars each it cost us to hunt on that property.

-------------------------------------------

Although it is not infallible, The Chadron often has either a subtle pink or green tint to it. Again, not infallible but you found an oreodont, pretty likely you were in the Oreodont Beds (Brule). And, assuming you were on the Shalimar Ranch - it's almost all Brule.

Guest Smilodon

Wow!!! Amazing! so is that Pliestocene era?

Bob, it's Oligocene - maybe 35 million years old. To my knowledge the only area in the U.S. that puts out mostly mammal fossils (and lots and lots of complete turtle shells.)

Oops yes, Bighorn Basin and Bridger Basin - both in Wyoming Eocene but those two areas are locked up tighter than Area 51.

Ahh man sweet specimen you got there it is surely a keeper. I have been so busy canning that I have not gotten out collecting fossils much but the garden season is coming to an end now and this winter I am doing a cover crop instead of a winter garden. I cannot wait to post new specimens after looking at what everyone else has found lately.

The best days are spent collecting fossils