ID 13" bone found in Calvert cliff (Huntingtown)

Chris Barth

4 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Lol I meant Eemian (like I had written), as in the interglacial period from the late Pleistocene (130'000 to 115'000 years ago). You know that I am much more at home with the younger critters :P 

I think you mixed it up with Emsian.

But I didn't really ask that question seriously. I think that the Eemian is mostly considered as a real age only here in Europe, and there are other terms for it in other places around the world (with slightly different dates I think). I only asked because it's my favorite moment in paleontology, mainly because the shells I find at the Zandmotor are from that substage. 

I thought you meant Permian and accidentally put an E instead of a P! We have Pleistocene that has the occasional fossil but it’s widely and thinly spread.

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Lol I meant Eemian (like I had written), as in the interglacial period from the late Pleistocene (130'000 to 115'000 years ago). You know that I am much more at home with the younger critters :P 

I think you mixed it up with Emsian.

But I didn't really ask that question seriously. I think that the Eemian is mostly considered as a real age only here in Europe, and there are other terms for it in other places around the world (with slightly different dates I think). I only asked because it's my favorite moment in paleontology, mainly because the shells I find at the Zandmotor are from that substage. 

Isn't there a natural trap of found in one of the road cuts near Cumberland that contains/ed lots of Pleistocene remains?

1 minute ago, Chris Barth said:

Isn't there a natural trap of found in one of the road cuts near Cumberland that contains/ed lots of Pleistocene remains?

Yeah, the aptly names Cumberland bone cave. It’s still there, but barred up. Most of the fossils are at the smithsonian. It’s a railroad cut.

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I thought I sent CMM an email about my find.  Ended up it was never sent!  Been holding on to an old Samsung S5 because it's one of the last replaceable battery and SD card phone, showing its age though! 

I'll try again, hopefully not much has eroded with all the storms.  I haven't been back to the beach due to some two-week long flu/virus and an extensive DIY first floor remodel.  Bit off more than I can chew!