Is This A Precambrian Fossil?

fig rocks

I was told that these were Precambrian sandstone with softbody shapes of Pseudorhizostomites, Medusoids, and partials of Pteridimium from Australia and Namibia from a 100 year old collection. Can anyone confirm this info? Please feel free to give your educated opinions!

post-1761-12519972908902_thumb.jpgpost-1761-12519973501713_thumb.jpgNamibia Medusinites

post-1761-12519974592316_thumb.jpgpost-1761-12519975015925_thumb.jpgNamibia Medusinites

post-1761-12519977375308_thumb.jpg

post-1761-12519983360686_thumb.jpg Precambrian worm tracks,above the track in the center,a partial piece of a Dikinsonia sp from Australia

post-1761-12519983547975_thumb.jpgpost-1761-12519983726095_thumb.jpghold-fast and medusinites

post-1761-12519983949848_thumb.jpghold-fast base and other problematic shapes Australia

post-1761-12519985900014_thumb.jpghold-fast trunk.

post-1761-12519986098265_thumb.jpghold-fast and the other tracks around

post-1761-12519986363101_thumb.jpgKimberella sp. to the right,Parvancorina to the left,Tribrachidium in center left,tracks of worm and soft bodies down,the Pseudorhizostomites with trunk above,and others problematic shapes from Australia

post-1761-12519986751138_thumb.jpgmatrix full of shapes

From Australia-

post-1761-12519988946745_thumb.jpgmedusinites

post-1761-1251998911909_thumb.jpgperhaps a partial Parvancorina sp. to the right,a track of a soft-body to the left

post-1761-12519990113999_thumb.jpg a partial Parvancorina sp?

post-1761-12519990390913_thumb.jpg a partial Parvancorina sp?

Australia-

post-1761-12519992117626_thumb.jpgProblematic shape,perhaps a partial Kimberella sp.with soft tracks of soft body down

post-1761-12519992350908_thumb.jpgprofile of Parvancorina sp. to the left and the Tribrachidium heraldicum to the right

post-1761-12519992562002_thumb.jpgPseudorhizostomistes,medusinites,hold-fast base

post-1761-12519992810428_thumb.jpgPseudorhizostomistes,medusinites,hold-fast base

Do you have any specific areas where they were found?

Those types of fossils in my opinion seem to be Precambrian..

Do you have any specific areas where they were found?

Those types of fossils in my opinion seem to be Precambrian..

The one is from southern Australia and the other from Namibia that's all I know except the sites are now closed and protected and they were collected 100 yrs ago. :)

The one is from southern Australia and the other from Namibia that's all I know except the sites are now closed and protected and they were collected 100 yrs ago. :)

Where's Kauffy when you need him!

Please, someone out there, is anyone home? I'm desperate! Auspex, tracer, hellooooooo! :wacko::blink::unsure::P

ok, first of all, saying you're desperate, and then summoning auspex, and then me, makes it rather apparent that you think my full name would be tracer dangerfield, i suppose.

but since you ask - yes, all your stuff is clearly and infinitely pre-clambrain, because clams still don't have any brains that i've noted. as for whether your stuff is old, yes, it's old. it might be naturally reconstituted old, but it still quite, quite old. as for whether each little mote of texture is the particular sciencese you've appellated it, i am decidedly and completely unsure. the fact that i am somewhat of a comic genius at appearing to be a comic genius has obviously confused some people into thinking i might actually know something, which i've never asserted. i in particular didn't know anything 542 million years ago or earlier. the preclambrain is exposed in texas too far from where i live for me to go feed any critters from there anyway, so they've probably all died, if they ever lived. i think there was an invertebrate that lived back then called "granite", but i'm not sure. now, i don't know how much more humor i can wring from this musty old subject, so perhaps you could do a bit of schtick regarding why you're desperate to suddenly figure out what something is that's waited hundreds of millions of years for you to wonder. either that, or you and your buddy auspex can exhumeexamine those things with a macroscope and go, "wow! those are big! but they're definitely not birds."

<stomping out of the room, with an intriguing little hint of a booty wiggle, in the general direction of someplace that sells beer - recent beer.>

OMG I am starting to understand him.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Are you saying you just can't get no respect anymore? :wub::wub::wub: Rodney! You certainly make me produce amazing endorphins in my brain! :P

And I'm sorry, I just called you in alphabetical order. Perhaps this could be remedied by you changing your name to Acer?

I am puzzled as how to price these fossils I have looked on Google but I have not been able to find anything to compare to, If any of you out there is willing to help me on this particular dilemma I would truly appreciate it, thanks in advance on all of your opinions. :)

Please, someone out there, is anyone home? I'm desperate! Auspex, tracer, hellooooooo!

Wow! those are big! but they're definitely not birds. :P

Are these the fossils we traded PMs about a while back? Aside from my suggested resources for research, I have no experience with this type of material (other than liking it a lot).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow! those are big! but they're definitely not birds. :P

Are these the fossils we traded PMs about a while back? Aside from my suggested resources for research, I have no experience with this type of material (other that liking it a lot).

Yes they are but I haven't got any answers yet, I am truly perplexed about them I need help!!!! :wacko:

Yes they are but I haven't got any answers yet, I am truly perplexed about them I need help!!!! :wacko:

I don't know how the market is for them right now, so don't hold me to anything. But I don't think they would bring as much as if they were higher life forms. I don't really see many people jumping on the ealry stuff, but I could be wrong :blink:

But as I always say, anything is worth what people are willing to pay for it. ;)

Sorry I can't be more help. See what people are buying stromatolites for on ebay. :)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

There is so little of this material on the market that it is hard to gauge the pricing.

They are really cool because of their age, but they are not particularly decorative objects; they are esoterica, though, and the "old collection" history will help that aspect.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I was told that these were Precambrian sandstone with softbody shapes of Pseudorhizostomites, Medusoids, and partials of Pteridimium from Australia and Namibia from a 100 year old collection. Can anyone confirm this info? Please feel free to give your educated opinions!

post-1761-12519972908902_thumb.jpgpost-1761-12519973501713_thumb.jpgNamibia Medusinites

post-1761-12519974592316_thumb.jpgpost-1761-12519975015925_thumb.jpgNamibia Medusinites

post-1761-12519977375308_thumb.jpg

There are really only a few dealers and collectors who have experience with Precambrian fossils and know them well. I would suggest asking the man at Nord Fossils (I assume he has a website) or visiting the Natural Canvas website (both companies have sold that stuff before and know it well). A partial anything from the Precambrian isn't worth much, especially when you consider something complete looks like a blob or a fingerprint even in the most complimentary lighting. If you have one of the old Natural Canvas catalogues, that might help give you some idea of a retail price range.

Also, Bruce Stinchcomb wrote a well-illustrated mainstream book about Precambrian fossils recently. You should track that down and dig up what you can at a university library. I have seen he has also written one on Paleozoic fossils, one on Triassic-Jurassic fossils, and one on Cretaceous fossils.

Fig said

I am puzzled as how to price these fossils

Seldom said

Use white stick on tags and a pen.

tracer said

something we had to google

Auspex said

See how much time we saved your welcome

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Fig said

I am puzzled as how to price these fossils

Seldom said

Use white stick on tags and a pen.

tracer said

something we had to google

Auspex said

See how much time we saved your welcome

HaHaHa Thanks Seldom! :P:D

Hi. Interesting material. There are indeed Ediacaran fossils in this group, but not very distinctive ones.

Not sure about them having been collected 100 years ago. The Namibian Ediacaran fossils were discovered in the early 19th Century (Gurich 1930, “Die bislang altesten spuren von organismen in Sudafrika”), but the Australian material was not discovered until the 1940s (Sprigg, 1947. Early Cambrian (?) jellyfish from the Flinders Range of South Australia).

Here’s an excellent reference with lots of photos to help with identification: http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Animals-Evolution-Diversification-Animalia/dp/0801886791

Not sure about your Pteridinium – if it really is then it’s a very very worn example. This is what Pteridinium looks like: http://images.google.co.uk/images?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4GGLJ_en&q=pteridinium%20namibia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Here’s a nice group of drawings of Namibian Ediacarans: https://www.nampost.com.na/shop/index.php?categoryID=71

This is fun, http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081120130531.htm

making the point that tracks in Precambrian rocks need not have been made by metazoans.

Trading in Ediacaran fossils is a very sensitive subject, e.g. see this: http://vendian.net76.net/

There are really only a few dealers and collectors who have experience with Precambrian fossils and know them well. I would suggest asking the man at Nord Fossils (I assume he has a website) or visiting the Natural Canvas website (both companies have sold that stuff before and know it well). A partial anything from the Precambrian isn't worth much, especially when you consider something complete looks like a blob or a fingerprint even in the most complimentary lighting. If you have one of the old Natural Canvas catalogues, that might help give you some idea of a retail price range.

Also, Bruce Stinchcomb wrote a well-illustrated mainstream book about Precambrian fossils recently. You should track that down and dig up what you can at a university library. I have seen he has also written one on Paleozoic fossils, one on Triassic-Jurassic fossils, and one on Cretaceous fossils.

First of all I want to thank everyone for their opinions and advice. I'm sad and embarrassed to report that I was taken. Here's a copy of the email I received back from Dr. John Hedley at The Natural Canvas:

Hi Rochelle,

Unfortunately, none of the specimens in the pictures are what they are claimed to be. They are all sedimentary structures and trace fossils. Several do appear to be from Australia, but they don't have any Ediacaran body fossils on them. Sadly, this means all of the specimens are essentially worthless. Also, it's very unlikely any of these pieces were collected 100 years ago. The German Hans Pflug was the first to collect Namibian Precambrian fossils and he was there in 1934. The Australian Precambrian fossils were first collected in the late 1940's.

Regards,

Dr. John Hedley

The Natural Canvas

1419 Speers Avenue

San Mateo, CA 94403

USA

Tel: (650) 638-2512

Email and PayPal: ncanvas@aol.com

I was taken by a wolf in sheep's clothing that belongs to the forum! It's very sad that we have dishonest members. :(:(:(

Sorry to hear that buddy. Hope it can be worked out

I wouldn't automatically assume the person who traded these to you was being deceptive, he might just not have known better. Not many people have experience with Precambrian fossils so it's safe to say that someone could be pretty easily convinced that they found something cool when, in fact, it's just a pseudofossil. I suppose the degree to which I would assume deception would be based on the pitch he gave you regarding these fossils.

“When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.” - Jack Handy