Lake Erie Fossils?

Dilettante

• New Members

Hi. I'm new here.

I live along Lake Erie and I often find Brachiopods and other fossils, but I have yet to find a trilobite. I am near Stoney Point, Brest Bay in Monroe, Michigan.

My question is, is it possible to find Trilobites along Lake Erie where I'm located, and where is the best place to look?

• New Members

I have not a clue where to find a trilo on lake Erie , but welcome to the forum from Alberta Canada :)

Thanks.

I've done a lot of web searching and haven't found anything on Trilobites along Lake Erie where I live. I hope someone here can help me out.

My avatar is a trilobite I found in Ohio in the Silica Shale. The shale runs through Toledo, Monroe and up into Ontario. I found those guys in a limestone quarry and cleaned them at home, but it's possible to find at least molts on the beach.

Good luck!

• New Members

My avatar is a trilobite I found in Ohio in the Silica Shale. The shale runs through Toledo, Monroe and up into Ontario. I found those guys in a limestone quarry and cleaned them at home, but it's possible to find at least molts on the beach.

Good luck!

Do you know of any specific spots in Monroe where the chances of finding trilobites is fairly good?

I've never hunted in Monroe. I know the formation runs right through it, but you need to find some exposures. The limestone quarry in Sylvania used to be the premier spot for Silica Shale and phacops trilobites, but they shut it down to collectors.

Do you know of any specific spots in Monroe where the chances of finding trilobites is fairly good?

Though the pits in sylvania have been closed down, I have found many parts of bugs- and have been present when whole ones have been found- in fossil park.

Thanks.

I've done a lot of web searching and haven't found anything on Trilobites along Lake Erie where I live. I hope someone here can help me out.

The third link down on the page that Tracer supplied seems to show exactly where you might find some trilobites along the lake. If I lived in the area I would already be there :) Good luck!

There are two locations you might consider trying. One is just north of Toledo and the other is south of Buffalo. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send more info.

I am from Erie PA and used to dive it a lot. I thought because the Great Lakes were formed like 10,000 years ago you would not find trilobites or most other older fossils along the lake?

The limestone was laid down during the Devonian. The glaciers carved out the Great Lakes ~10,000 years ago. You can find amazing trilobites and crinoids in the exposed limestone and shale throughout the Great Lakes.

Agreed. I have several phacops rana crassituberculata from that Sylvania Ohio quarry (you can still look through a small "supervised dig" area there, I manned the info booth there once) Ohio and a few disarticulated phacops millerii pygidia that I found at Rock Glen and Hungry Hollow, Ontario, all from that Devonian limestone. I would still like to obtain a complete phacops millerii as I have not got a whole one yet.

I have friends who found many trilobites in the limestone along the shore of Lake Erie along with other Devonian reef stuff. Keep looking and follow those leads. :)

Fun factoid: the Sylvania quarry was closed to collecting due to misbehavior on the part of amateur collectors, a rock throwing exchange between some young folks that resulted in an injury and a lawsuit. End of story for us fossickers. :( Even out in the woollies, we are being supervised and evaluated on an ongoing basis.

Edited by Bear

If you are sitll in the area, the Toledo site is a supervised site, as mentioned before, and there is not much to be found in the actual quarry strangely enough. However, if you go out of the quarry you will find a lot of remarkably large and full specimens (usually curled up) in the surrounding rock and dirt hills. For the exact spot I looked--from the parking lot, there is a trail to the quarry and a trail that goes straight off past the "dig site". Take that other trail and then go up into the little hills directly to the left of the quarry and up above it sort of. It may seem like dirt and unrelated rock, but I found 3 big trilobites in that dirt mixed in with shale peices and rock (these are the only ones I found). I found these on the top basically just laying on the ground under the foliage on the hill in a span of less than 30 minutes span.

Also, probably mentioned already is the Lake Erie Bluffs (google that). There is a specific site with parking you can walk out along the lake there are some shale bluffs. I didnt have all that much luck with good finds, but we did find some small trilobites there, mostly pieces of trilobites. I suppose I may have been looking in the wrong layer though, and didnt have a lot of tools at the time to work with.

My son and I found a Trilo on shore of Lake Erie this morning. We marked the spot and covered it with a plastic jug so we could find it and photograph it. Here is a picture:

post-2323-12545884230001_thumb.jpg

Edited by west99

My son and I found a Trilo on shore of Lake Erie this morning. We marked the spot and covered it with a plastic jug so we could find it and photograph it. Here is a picture:

post-2323-12545885542351_thumb.jpg

We attached the wrong pic! See the next post.

post-2323-12545885542351_thumb.jpg

That is awesome!!! I rented a house on Lake Erie Near North East PA for a week this summer. There are a lot of bluffs near there. I wish I had spent some time hunting.