Help id teeth

PatSea

Hi! 

Can someone please help me to identify these items?

I found them at a beach in Portugal, close to the city of Setubal. 

I often find bones there too but I don’t dare to bring them home... 

E0348250-7F05-4A17-8181-E54A07577FCF.jpeg

First tooth, I am not sure of.

Second looks to be swine ( pig).

Third item is chert or flint.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

50 minutes ago, caldigger said:

First tooth, I am not sure of.

Second looks to be swine ( pig).

Third item is chert or flint.

Thanks for your reply! I'm sorry for my ignorance regarding fossils and for the terrible quality of the photos... If these items are not even "old" let me know so i delete the post.

Edited by PatSea

13 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I think it is an artiodactyl lower p2.  Resembles a deer p2, but I don't know your local fossil fauna.

Well, i'll have to do a little research about the local fossil fauna then... 

Every time i go to that beach, about 2 times a week, i always find bones and teeth. The teeth are ok, but the bones.... since i'm unable to distinguish between human bones and animal bones, i prefer not to touch them.

19 minutes ago, Darko said:

First two look like a deer,third one is from a pig.

Thanks for your time.

First two are the same, just different photos. Are the teeth fossilized, or recent?

11 minutes ago, PatSea said:

Thanks for your time.

First two are the same, just different photos. Are the teeth fossilized, or recent?

I'm thinking recent

35 minutes ago, PatSea said:

Every time i go to that beach, about 2 times a week, i always find bones and teeth. The teeth are ok, but the bones.... since i'm unable to distinguish between human bones and animal bones, i prefer not to touch them.

Gosh I should hope your beaches aren't littered with human remains! :wacko:

They are probably entering the ocean from river drainage.

When we have very heavy rains we often get a lot of cow bones and fresh carcasses washing down rivers into the beach.

It tends not to make a pleasant stroll along the shore during those times. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

12 minutes ago, ynot said:

I am leaning towards non fossil, mostly because of the algie on the root of the first one.

I see... So, if it were prehistoric it wouldn't be affected by the algae, is that it? Even if underwater for decades?

Sorry for the questions, but i know nothing about fossils... it just seems odd to find bones and teeth every time i go to that beach. And now i feel stupid for bringing these things home...

Because moden roots are more porous than a mineralized one would be, the algie has a better place to attach. 

If the whole tooth was covered with some algie I would go the other way.

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Gosh I should hope your beaches aren't littered with human remains! :wacko:

They are probably entering the ocean from river drainage.

When we have very heavy rains we often get a lot of cow bones and fresh carcasses washing down rivers into the beach.

It tends not to make a pleasant stroll along the shore during those times. 

They probably are... two bodies were found floating a weak ago... We never know what's hidden underwater!

I wish i could tell the difference between animal and human bones! 

5 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

I found very old human remains on the beach and thought them cool. My son thought so too.  :trilosurprise:

They are cool and i love to find them! I just don't bring them home because i think it's disrespectful to the dead person. Vertebrae are my favorite and a few other... i would collect them if i could tell the difference between animal and human bones.

I spend hours on NamUs, reading random UID cases, and most of them are just human remains, some with pictures. I like to imagine about their lives, what happened to them, etc. It's like paying a last tribute... i would like it to be a penultimate tribute tho.

7 hours ago, ynot said:

Because moden roots are more porous than a mineralized one would be, the algie has a better place to attach. 

If the whole tooth was covered with some algie I would go the other way.

Got it! The second tooth has no roots, but it is probably recent as well, right?

Thanks for your help!

13 hours ago, PatSea said:

I wish i could tell the difference between animal and human bones! 

1) Nowhere should be human bones lying open on a beach, in a river or elswhere!

2) Please take photos of the supicious bones (no touching needed) and post them here in TFF

3) The may be recognized as human or non-human by the members of TFF.

4) If human, call the police and inform them of your find. I think, thats all that you need to do then.

Franz Bernhard

5 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

1) Nowhere should be human bones lying open on a beach, in a river or elswhere!

2) Please take photos of the supicious bones (no touching needed) and post them here in TFF

3) The may be recognized as human or non-human by the members of TFF.

4) If human, call the police and inform them of your find. I think, thats all that you need to do then.

Franz Bernhard

Since the teeth i found are recent, my guess is that the bones are probably from animals. I'll call the authorities if i find remains that i'm able to identify, like hands, feet or human skull. I doubt the forensics check the DNA of a single bone here, even if human... Maybe if found close to a crime scene... i don't really know how forensic investigation works here.

Thanks for your advice anyway...

21 hours ago, PatSea said:

They are cool and i love to find them! I just don't bring them home because i think it's disrespectful to the dead person. Vertebrae are my favorite and a few other... i would collect them if i could tell the difference between animal and human bones.

I spend hours on NamUs, reading random UID cases, and most of them are just human remains, some with pictures. I like to imagine about their lives, what happened to them, etc. It's like paying a last tribute... i would like it to be a penultimate tribute tho.

What?  I too am a member of NamUs!  Normally the human bones that I find are very, very old.  Then photographed, weighed, and marked in situ for mapping purposes.