Ray Tooth

Original Ryan

Found on the Suwanee river, FL. 1/2 an inch long. I think it is a eagle ray tooth? only think i could find that looked like it.

post-2132-12521067681228_thumb.jpg

The pic looks like all the surfaces are curved with a small radius. I'm not the expert, but the majority of the ray teeth I have found in FL have planar or mostly planar grinding surfaces on them. If that is a ray tooth, it is actually several still held together to form the majority of a mouth plate.

also, if you flip the plate over, most florida ray teeth have ridges on the side opposite of the grinding side that hold them to the cartilage of the jaw.

Here are some pics of my ray and skate teeth. The first 2 are front and back of my 2 best plates of multiple teeth stuck together, the next is the majority of my teeth that either are a couple few stuck together or just good specimens of individual teeth. Next are most of my individual teeth or pieces of teeth. Finally the white teeth are modern ray teeth gleaned off of the bottom of the Orlando Sea World Stingray petting tank.

post-462-12521564482867_thumb.jpg

post-462-12521564625641_thumb.jpg

post-462-1252156533375_thumb.jpg

post-462-12521565772593_thumb.jpg

post-462-12521566367362_thumb.jpg

Ryan I don't think thats a ray plate all that I have or have seen are flat no crave at all. Can you get a pic of the side and bottom.

Serack like those modern ray plates are cool don't see a lot of white ones here.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

the back is locked in rock, so it is not much help. the curvature of it does not seem right to me either, but the pattern does, so i was not sure. Searching on the internet, i found this image, which has the right pattern, but other then that doesn't really look the right shape. Here is some more images.

post-2132-12521803143612_thumb.jpg

post-2132-12521803221595_thumb.jpg

Edited by Original Ryan

Definitely an echinoid. I saw a lot like that in Gainsville, FL.

post-1313-12521825048679_thumb.jpg

Echinoid from Rocky Point, NC.

Be true to the reality you create.

Definitely an echinoid. I saw a lot like that in Gainsville, FL.

post-1313-12521825048679_thumb.jpg

Echinoid from Rocky Point, NC.

Definitely, Thanks

Good eye Frank I did not catch that at first till you put pic of rare Hardouinia kellumi. And Worthy55 nice echinoid also what state did you collect it from? I just love echinoids! :wub:

The best days are spent collecting fossils