First Trip To Rammenessin

Super

Took my first trip to Rammenessin today with my kids. Here's what we got, along with some other stuff that may just be rocks. I'll post that later..

Fossil-9-6-09.jpg

Yay kids!

Were you gravel-gazing or sifting?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You must have gone somewhere different than I usually go. I was there myself, with my dad, Steve from the forum (n30c, I think it is), and his uncle. Unfortunately my dad's stamina at this isn't the same as mine, so the two of us had to cut out early. Seems it was a popular day to hunt the Ramenessin! As for myself, I came away with a few dozen teeth, mostly partials. I did get a really nice Enchodus tooth (my nicest so far), my most complete ratfish jaw (the posterior half), and my first Hybodus tooth. How long did you stay?

Here's my nicest teeth of the day. Hybodont in the top left.

P1010389-4.jpg

nice finds dave. looks like you even managed to find a croc/mosasaur tooth as well. did my directions help for you?

also...great finds yourself anthony. i was going to go there myself today, but i went indian artifacting instead. found 4 nice points, and a turtle head amulet. very rare. i'll post pics later.

nice finds dave. looks like you even managed to find a croc/mosasaur tooth as well. did my directions help for you?

also...great finds yourself anthony. i was going to go there myself today, but i went indian artifacting instead. found 4 nice points, and a turtle head amulet. very rare. i'll post pics later.

My uncle and I had a great time out with Anthony (Anthony in nj) and his father. We had a great time and learned ALLOT about the NJ creeks and what to look for from Anthony much thanks.

Heres the total haul

img0954.th.jpg

best and mystery stuff

I think the left and right are ribs of something they are defiantly bone of some kind thats just the bottom side

The top left is a curved almost claw like i think tooth I can take better pics if some one has an idea.

Top right I'm hoping you guys say is mosasaur its black a little more round looks like the ones I'v seen online.

The 3 below the top 2 from the left I believe are reptile teeth tho I'm not 100% sure.

The sharks tooth seemed very odd its small white and shaped odd I wasn't sure if it was a odd species or just a baby tooth.

The whole shell was kind of a surprise to find.

And the bottom left is a gorgeous maroon red tooth of a species i haven't seen before.

img0957f.th.jpg

img0956z.th.jpg

Best for last

almost full razor clam and ammonite.

img0958d.th.jpg

img0960gm.th.jpg

Edited by n30c

nice finds...it took me quite a few visits to ramenessin before i found my first ammonite section. the two "rib" sections are just mudstone. i know they look lke bone to you, but they are not. ive found countless pieces of them that i would swear were bone, but they're not. bone is almost always porous or at the least "striated". that razor clam steinkern is quite impressive, although im not 100% sure thats what it is. it has the look of a cephalopod or something in the ceph family. the little tooth is either a mosasaur, or a croc. hard to tell from the pic. mos teeth generally are oval shaped when looking at them from the tip down, croc teeth are more round. the other little cone shaped pieces are probibly the inside casts of a belemnite, or another cone shaped fossil. all in all though...great finds bro. congrats are in order!

Excellent batch of fossils guys! I tried to find an ID for that bivalve (razor clam) but didn't find any exact matches. There are clams like that in the Lower Cretaceous here in Texas. With the right books you should be able to at least nail it down to genus. Steinkerns of that quality are not common in the brooks. Also consider hitting it with a consolidant before it dries and crumbles. The little shiny curved thing is a cast of a worm tube.

nice finds...it took me quite a few visits to ramenessin before i found my first ammonite section. the two "rib" sections are just mudstone. i know they look lke bone to you, but they are not. ive found countless pieces of them that i would swear were bone, but they're not. bone is almost always porous or at the least "striated". that razor clam steinkern is quite impressive, although im not 100% sure thats what it is. it has the look of a cephalopod or something in the ceph family. the little tooth is either a mosasaur, or a croc. hard to tell from the pic. mos teeth generally are oval shaped when looking at them from the tip down, croc teeth are more round. the other little cone shaped pieces are probibly the inside casts of a belemnite, or another cone shaped fossil. all in all though...great finds bro. congrats are in order!

So after digging on every NJ site i could find i cant find a pic of any clams that look any thing remotely simular to the one i found any ideas? some more pics

img0958d.th.jpg

img0959b.th.jpg

img0960gm.th.jpg

Excellent batch of fossils guys! I tried to find an ID for that bivalve (razor clam) but didn't find any exact matches. There are clams like that in the Lower Cretaceous here in Texas. With the right books you should be able to at least nail it down to genus. Steinkerns of that quality are not common in the brooks. Also consider hitting it with a consolidant before it dries and crumbles. The little shiny curved thing is a cast of a worm tube.

What should i use? Right now its staying moist in a plastic bag from the water that was on it when i found it. Sorry they are kind of noob questions I'm relatively new to this stuff. I'v always gone for ferns or ocean stuff in PA and I'm not failure with how to preserve this. Any advise would be appreciated.

So after digging on every NJ site i could find i cant find a pic of any clams that look any thing remotely simular to the one i found any ideas? some more pics

img0958d.th.jpg

img0959b.th.jpg

img0960gm.th.jpg

im lookin...but i havent found a match just yet.. i'll let you know.

did my directions help for you?

Directions were great. Thanks a bunch.

We spent a few hours sifting, but I did find one tooth on the surface. My son did great. Maybe found more that I did, even after being distracted by some frogs.

Shark teeth in this brook seem bigger than the other brooks in the area that we have sifted.