Nothing Like I Have Found Before

Bishop54

I've found Cephalopods, Brachiopods, and Coral of all sorts, but I have yet to find anything like this. I have been chipping away at this huge rock most of the summer and I came across it today. It's approximately 1 & 1/8th inches wide and 3 & 3/4 inches long. It comes from a rock I have found Brachiopods and Coral in. Any clue what it might be?

post-1888-12522771926054_thumb.jpg

post-1888-12522772099913_thumb.jpg

post-1888-12522772283642_thumb.jpg

post-1888-12522772488644_thumb.jpg

post-1888-12522772620269_thumb.jpg

Can you get a bit higher-res pics?

Thats the best I can do right now. I tried to take it at the clearest part of the day.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but why do you think this is not a cephalopod?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but why do you think this is not a cephalopod?

Well I have yet to find a Cephalopod anywhere on the property I have been hunting on. The Cephalopod pieces I have found before were from shale 15 miles away. Plus this thing doesn't look much like my other Cephalopod pieces. The shape seems similar but the texture is very different. I was hoping it was something different.

Well I have yet to find a Cephalopod anywhere on the property I have been hunting on. The Cephalopod pieces I have found before were from shale 15 miles away. Plus this thing doesn't look much like my other Cephalopod pieces. The shape seems similar but the texture is very different. I was hoping it was something different.

I know you're probably stuck with a cell phone, which does take decent pics, but this piece is crying out for a 1000-pixel-wide shot for more detail.

I know you're probably stuck with a cell phone, which does take decent pics, but this piece is crying out for a 1000-pixel-wide shot for more detail.

I'll try to get a hold of one. I'm excited about this piece because all I have been finding in this rock are brachiopods and coral.

Guest solius symbiosus

Yep, the only thing "missing", is the age, and I would assume that it is early-mid Paleozoic.

It is an orthoconic nautiloid.

Yep, the only thing "missing", is the age, and I would assume that it is early-mid Paleozoic.

It is an orthoconic nautiloid.

Totally agree with you! ;)

Cephalopod/orthoconic nautiloid for sure.These are a couple of mine from the Ordovician

post-77-125231853621_thumb.jpg

post-77-12523185703017_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Oh shucks! I was hoping for something different. Oh well, it's a pretty nice one anyway. This one I found on my own without looking through a scrap pile of shale. I guess that makes it a little special. Now I just have to figure out how to chip away around it so it stays intact.

Thanks for the ID once again guys. I guess I should ask the mods to change the title to "SOMETHING like I have found before."

Oh shucks! I was hoping for something different. Oh well, it's a pretty nice one anyway. This one I found on my own without looking through a scrap pile of shale. I guess that makes it a little special. Now I just have to figure out how to chip away around it so it stays intact.

Thanks for the ID once again guys. I guess I should ask the mods to change the title to "SOMETHING like I have found before."

Don`t hesitate in looking in the same places! Apart from those (nice) Cephs, that shales can held something more...just look carefully...perhaps take a look for something smaller...Trilos, Crinoids, Brachiopods...(if it is ordovician in age is really old!)

Good luck and great finds! ;)