Electric Saw Recommendations

Joon

Hello members,

I am going to go for a fossil hunting trip on this October 21 at Bowmanville Quarry, Ontario. Since I realized how useful an electric saw is on the last trip with @crinus, I am considering to get one before I get there.

I found a post at the TFF, and the recommendations were a bit out of my budget...

I was wondering whether I need to get an expensive one, or just between $100 to 200 one will be fine.

I would appreciate your any recommendations and advice...

Sincerely,

Jun

you can rig a light duty on from a good gas weed wacker and a rock saw blade. Use at your own risk.:headscratch:

• I found this Informative 2

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

5 hours ago, Herb said:

you can rig a light duty on from a good gas weed wacker and a rock saw blade. Use at your own risk.:headscratch:

Hello Herb,

Thank you for your advice!

Just I wonder can light duty cut the rock? I am watching some heavy duty electric round saws on online costs under 200... :(

The stone at Bowmanville can be pretty thick and dense, as you know. I have seen others use smaller portable saws there, but they would not cut it (pun intended) if the specimen is in a much larger slab. Fortunately, there are a few people who attend that bring larger saws, so it might be the more cost-effective approach to enlist their help (near the end of the day) or ask to borrow it temporarily to cut out a piece. When it comes to equipment like this, you certainly get what you pay for: if you go cheaper and lighter duty, you might not gain the results you want. ;) 

Usually the process is to do a sweep of the piles first, using flagging tape to claim finds that would require a saw. 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

42 minutes ago, Kane said:

The stone at Bowmanville can be pretty thick and dense, as you know. I have seen others use smaller portable saws there, but they would not cut it (pun intended) if the specimen is in a much larger slab. Fortunately, there are a few people who attend that bring larger saws, so it might be the more cost-effective approach to enlist their help (near the end of the day) or ask to borrow it temporarily to cut out a piece. When it comes to equipment like this, you certainly get what you pay for: if you go cheaper and lighter duty, you might not gain the results you want. ;) 

Usually the process is to do a sweep of the piles first, using flagging tape to claim finds that would require a saw. 

Hello Kane,

Thank you for the reply! :)

I would get some help from others! I thought that I could use some portable electric saw:blush: even though I am using Estwing hammers for the quality... I will keep your advice in mind that like this equipment performs what I pay for...

Your advice really helps me! Thank you, and I sincerely look forward to meeting you on Oct21! :D

Jun

6 hours ago, HoJoon said:

Hello Herb,

Thank you for your advice!

Just I wonder can light duty cut the rock? I am watching some heavy duty electric round saws on online costs under 200... :(

He mostly used it on shales and thin bedded rock layers

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

4 hours ago, Herb said:

He mostly used it on shales and thin bedded rock layers

Oh, I got it! That is the difference. Thank you!

HoJoon, don't bother with electric saws, they will not work in Bowmanville.  Don't worry, you can use my saw.  

Joe

1 hour ago, crinus said:

HoJoon, don't bother with electric saws, they will not work in Bowmanville.  Don't worry, you can use my saw.  

Joe

I thought that you were not going to join this time. I could have wasted a lot of resources if I did not ask here! Thank you so much! :)

Jun