Big, Semi-Old Bone Id Seriously Needet

tracer

hi. i'm tracer's cat. he's gone. don't know where. but he left this thing, and i want to know what it is and what it is from, please. meow, meow - oops - always lapse into my native tongue when i try to talk technical. i might consider trading this thing for a bale or three of catnip if he doesn't show back up soon, but i figure i need to know what it is. can you help?

post-488-1252376957624_thumb.jpg

post-488-12523769740408_thumb.jpg

post-488-12523769888659_thumb.jpg

post-488-1252377004106_thumb.jpg

thanks a million, humans.

p.s. - i think those are tj's fingers. creepy, aren't they?

Tracer needs to change his pass word

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Meow meow meow, meow meow; meow meow!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ahhh Tracer’s cat is on the prowl and he ate some of Tracers fossil vertebrate. Kitty you’re in trouble now mister.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Not sure what that is - but, my best guess would be part of an atlas. Not sure that it's from a mysticete, it could be proboscidean.

Meow.rowr. I was hoping it was an ankle bone like a calcaneus or astralagus or navicular or sompin, cuz I'm an ankle biter at heart, and mammoth ankle biters RULE!

It's a carpal or tarsal. Only two things possible, I'd say - proboscidean or sloth something really big like Eremotherium.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

nah, the articulating and other surfaces don't seem appropriately structured. i think rwhite's observation is probably accurate and i'm just sort of trying to narrow from there, but haven't gotten the "smoking gun" close-up photos of comparative material located yet. i got a sidebar comment that it might be a mammoth astragalus, and again, i do feel like that concept's in the right direction. i may end up having to go to a houston museum that has a mounted mastodon to examine it in detail.

by the way, it has come to my attention that the family cat was apparently getting on here and posting in my absence. i hope that he didn't annoy ya'll as much as he annoys me most of the time. i've told him that i'm having him re-neutered if he gets on here anymore...

Heh, re-neutered. Love your posts, or your cat's posts. You may want to keep an eye on your family's potable water supply.