Mazon Creek Shrimp

John K

The last of our Mazon Creek nodules are opening up (great rejoicing..... yeah......)

We got mostly jellies, but the last few have been "interesting."
I'm pretty sure this guy is a shrimp:

Shrimp.jpg

ShrimpII.jpg

Edited by John K

I could see it...

A little unusual at the edge of the concretion; does the counterpart add any details?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I could see it...

A little unusual at the edge of the concretion; does the counterpart add any details?

I'd like to see the other half as well..

I do however think you may be on to something, a greyscaled picture may show more detail as well.

Mmmmmm! not sure if it is a fossil! Normally , concretions grow AROUND an object (in this case, the shrimp)... :unsure: The only thing it could happen is that the shrimp was fixed later than the center? :blink:

I re-shot with better light and uploaded the photos I posted last night above

I agree, most concretions form "around" the animal after death, but I've seen examples where they don't (I think our own RCFossils might have some in his galleries - I'm on dial up so it's hard for me to check right now...) A reprint I have (chapter six of "Evolution of Fossils": "Mazon Creek") suggests that some animals actually moved towards the edge of the nodule during the formation process (a brachiopod leaving a death trail was the example I read) and formation of the nodules was almost immediate.

"a greyscaled picture may show more detail"

brilliant! I popped the contrast just a bit, and put in some "lables"; hopefully you'll see what I'm seeing:

ShrimpBW.jpg

Edited by John K

Good job with the picture!

I'm all-in on your ID now (at least as a "shrimp" in the common vernacular; someone who knows can site it chapter and verse, I'm sure).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm also all in, I thought the Grey scale would work wonders. :)

Wait does this mean I made a worth while suggestion?

John K really nice shrimp and the details are great!!! How about posting the jelly fish too. Please would love to see them.

The best days are spent collecting fossils