S233

15 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Do you know of any good sources for IDing NJ ammonite material?

Absolutely: Ralph Johnson. I have to assume you've heard of him. I couldn't get that link to work.

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, Carl said:

Absolutely: Ralph Johnson. I have to assume you've heard of him. I couldn't get that link to work.

Haha, I was thinking of saying (other than Ralph) in my previous reply, but didn't. So most of the nj ammonite knowledge you have is from examining MAPS's ammos? Would you say Horace G Richards is at least a decent source?

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

5 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Haha, I was thinking of saying (other than Ralph) in my previous reply, but didn't. So most of the nj ammonite knowledge you have is from examining MAPS's ammos? Would you say Horace G Richards is at least a decent source?

Richards is good but pretty old. Ralph is still alive, at least.

8 hours ago, Carl said:

Here's what I see. Sorry: haven't read the other posts yet.

• The first 3 are ammonite chamber steinkerns. The one on the left of the first shot is probably Placenticeras, as is the one on the right. The "croissant" in the middle is Menuites. Nice find.
  • The "cartilage" definitely does not look like chondrichthyan cartilage. Might be a mollusk steinkern of some kind.
  • I agree with the 2 possible Xiphactinus teeth
  • Can't tell what the "pathologic tooth or claw" is. Not at all likely to be a claw but possibly a fish tooth fragment
  • The 6 teeth I would ID as Enchodus, Enchodus, croc, croc, croc, Pachyrhizodus
  • "Scute" - nope. Just a rock
  • "Plesiosaur tooth chunk" may just be a bone fragment - very hard to tell
  • The mammal teeth are most likely modern - I'm seeing deer and rodent
  • Hybodont cephalic hook rather than plesiosaur tooth

Agree completely except can't tell about the "cartilage" .  just need more pics.  And I think it's a pathologic shark tooth blade 

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Also not sure on the coprolite.  Need more pics but I'm leaning towards concretion

21 hours ago, Trevor said:

Is this cartilage? 

5bcfdfb0b014d_Cartilage.thumb.JPG.8542d956858139a046e51922bcbf7654.JPG

Coprolite?

Coprolite.thumb.JPG.8648b726367bff70f24a3c1698e83a94.JPG

Coprolite3.thumb.JPG.8afb2b77829c301759a0136fae623b04.JPG

@non-remanié I don't see how the first item could be a tooth of any sort. The second may be a concretion, but I'd say there's a chance the spiral has been abraded.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Joseph, that's not what I meant. I was referring to 3 different items. I meant that the tooth/claw was a pathological and damaged shark tooth blade.  Its definitely still a bit unclear but that's my impression of it.   I am very doubtful of the coprolite but its a slight possibility.  If it is a coprolite it seems like a very unusual style of preservation for NJ as well.    The side we can see well in one picture is too  irregular.  It may be a deformed burrow infill or other trace. 

11 hours ago, non-remanié said:

Joseph, that's not what I meant. I was referring to 3 different items. I meant that the tooth/claw was a pathological and damaged shark tooth blade.  Its definitely still a bit unclear but that's my impression of it.   I am very doubtful of the coprolite but its a slight possibility.  If it is a coprolite it seems like a very unusual style of preservation for NJ as well.    The side we can see well in one picture is too  irregular.  It may be a deformed burrow infill or other trace. 

Yeah I definitely see that being a shark tooth. Weird abrasion though.

14 hours ago, non-remanié said:

Also not sure on the coprolite.  Need more pics but I'm leaning towards concretion

Totally missed the "coprolite" - thought that was more shots of the "cartilage." I agree that that isn't likely a coprolite.

Nice finds Trevor! Lots of good stuff there.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.