Gill Plates On Really Big Fish

Frank Menser

Just found at the pond what I think might be a gill plate from a big fish. I cannot post the pic here as for some fool reason it is not allowing me. Nor am I getting any access to my personal mail.

The piece I have is roughly 3" x 3" pancake thin but slightly curved and shows a ray pattern. Definitely organic as it shows cell structure (visable through a break.

Has anyone got gill plate photos? I have found large teeth from Enchodus and Xip (Tarpon) big enough at this site.

post-1313-51252_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Just found at the pond what I think might be a gill plate from a big fish. I cannot post the pic here as for some fool reason it is not allowing me. Nor am I getting any access to my personal mail.

The piece I have is roughly 3" x 3" pancake thin but slightly curved and shows a ray pattern. Definitely organic as it shows cell structure (visable through a break.

Has anyone got gill plate photos? I have found large teeth from Enchodus and Xip (Tarpon) big enough at this site.

Frank - any images of the other side? It looks a little heavy to be a operculum. My guess it is part of the cletherium (spelling?)or the fish "shoulder blade".

Thanks, I have the photos just can't post them. Will contact you via the forum, and send you my Email as I can send them that way.

Frank you seem to have posted one. I don't why you shouldn't be able to post more. Just click browse and choose your file then click attach file.

Gator, Ok..that surprised me. I found it with the browser but never actually posted it got as far as the attach button. Am Trying again here. Still can't access my menu or PM.

Will try to post a couple more pics as soon as I photoshop them.

post-1313-58055_thumb.jpg

Your fossil reminds me of a reptile ileum with some high points broken away.

post-42-12525359997903_thumb.jpgpost-42-1252535875881_thumb.jpgpost-42-12525358933057_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

If they post here are two more shots including the flip side. Ok...one out of two...

post-1313-174891_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Menser

Not really close to any of those but closer to the fourth one down on the left than any.

i've eaten a lot of fish and don't know why one would need that thik a bone just to cover gils. i do kinda like the word "opercular" though and wud like to use it more. maybe that bone is a scabula or coracoid from a mosaturtle or sumpin...

don't know but bet it was tasty.

tracer's cat

i've eaten a lot of fish and don't know why one would need that thik a bone just to cover gils. i do kinda like the word "opercular" though and wud like to use it more. maybe that bone is a scabula or coracoid from a mosaturtle or sumpin...

don't know but bet it was tasty.

tracer's cat

Frank, it's hard to really see details in your photos. Could you post more that are cropped and focused? I hate to admit it, but tracer's cat is echoing the thoughts I've had since you posted... :blink:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

post-1313-12525914820624_thumb.jpg

post-1313-1252591522032_thumb.jpg

Frank-

Still think this is way too heavy for a gill plate. The bone I am referring to is the one that the pectoral fin attaches to. Here is a picture from Oceansofkansas.com:

post-98-12525926484184_thumb.jpg

Oceans of Kansas has this drawing of some mosasaur parts:

post-423-12525934194938_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Oceans of Kansas has this drawing of some mosasaur parts:

post-423-12525934194938_thumb.jpg

Good call Auspex! Frank's piece looks a lot like that scapula/coracoid.

Sad to think tracer's cat could be the most observant among us....

Frank, here is a partial scapula from a small mosasaur (probably a Plioplatecarpus sp. - I have the quadrates). Your specimen does look more like a mosasaur bone fragment than fish. However, I wouldn't rule out turtle. It will be easier for you to compare yours to the OOK website photos.

post-420-12525954787532_thumb.jpg

post-420-12525954873308_thumb.jpg

Interesting. The only problem is the strata this came out of I beleave is too recent for a Mosasaur. This came out of an area that produced Whale, Walrus and Megs.

Looking at the pic of the Xiphactinus the top part of the shoulder where it tucks under the gill looks more like it to me than anything so far.

The fact that this came from the spoils of an excavation through (at least) two depositional strata means you can't completely rule it out.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Interesting. The only problem is the strata this came out of I beleave is too recent for a Mosasaur. This came out of an area that produced Whale, Walrus and Megs.

Looking at the pic of the Xiphactinus the top part of the shoulder where it tucks under the gill looks more like it to me than anything so far.

If it's too recent for mosasaur, then the same would be true for X-fish. Is there Cretaceous "float" in the spoils? How does it compare to turtle plastron material?

The fact that this came from the spoils of an excavation through (at least) two depositional strata means you can't completely rule it out.

The thing is this did not come from a spoil pile. Basically, someone was digging out a pond and they hauled the excess away. What we have here is an exposed "beach" with two distinctly different strata (older grey, newer orange) exposed side by side with a small transition zone and a very different fauna represented in each. This was very solidly in the orange zone.

I am very familiar with turtle material-in Florida especially, as it is the most common vert fossil. I have found turtle there as well. This isn't it.

Actually that is not the case. As per our conversation, the spoil material dug out of the pond was hauled off. Again, the very clear seperation between the gray zone and the orange zone would not be possible if everything was mixed up. Nor would the very different fossils found in each zone.