Missouri Fossils

jax

I'll be heading to MO in a few weeks with the family, and was wondering, IF I had some time, Are there any good places to check out. OR what I would be looking for. We will be staying in Lesterville, Pilot Knob area. About 90mins south of St Louis. I will be doing some Metal Detecting since this area is well know for civil war battles.

Thanks

Justin

Jax -

It's mostly granites around there. You can find some outcroppings here and there. Look for cherts. They are lower Ord. and have some really cool monoplacophorans in them.

Make sure you check out Ft. Davidson. The earthenworks are still there.

If I was 90 minutes south of St. Louis at any time, I'd make an appointment with a man about a 17' Xiphactinus...but that's just me. B)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

If I was 90 minutes south of St. Louis at any time, I'd make an appointment with a man about a 17' Xiphactinus...but that's just me. B)

Jax - come on up!

I have already done that!!! We fly into St louis on the 23rd. I just have to talk the rest of the people that we are traveling with (the in-laws....) to stop over and see that baby!!

I was also told that there were plenty of arrowheads to be found in this area. I'd love to come home with a one or a few of thoes too.

I have already done that!!! We fly into St louis on the 23rd. I just have to talk the rest of the people that we are traveling with (the in-laws....) to stop over and see that baby!!

I was also told that there were plenty of arrowheads to be found in this area. I'd love to come home with a one or a few of thoes too.

fwiw - we're 15 min from the airport.

When you figure if you have time, I can send you some directions for outcrops along I-55, easy to find, with good fossils, they would take a little driving from Pilot Knob. They come from the book "Geology Of I-55", and range from here in the bootheel, and up past St. Louis. Also, I recommend stopping by Elephant Rock state park, and Johnson shut-ins, to view the granite, and Tom Sauk Mountain, and hike the trail to the waterfalls (Minn Tauka?), for more views of the granite. Beautiful glades are also visible, and if you come towards end of October to mid-November, the color change is second to none.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen