A Couple Quesitons

Quality4go

your first specimen looks like it could be an impression of a rugose coral; is it in limestone or chert? Where was it found?

the second looks like it's a piece of oxidized igneous rock (schist perhaps?) The yellow/orange surface discoloration would be oxidized iron - you can sort of see the crytaline structure of the rock around the edges where it's been battered a little bit. A lot of times volcanic rocks will take on deceptively organic shapes as they form and are later twisted around.

your first specimen looks like it could be an impression of a rugose coral; is it in limestone or chert? Where was it found?

the second looks like it's a piece of oxidized igneous rock (schist perhaps?) The yellow/orange surface discoloration would be oxidized iron - you can sort of see the crytaline structure of the rock around the edges where it's been battered a little bit. A lot of times volcanic rocks will take on deceptively organic shapes as they form and are later twisted around.

Strongly agree with the horn coral...Gettin' better at Mississippian fossils! Thanks to the rest of you geniuses...

Definitely a horn coral, as for the other specimen Some clearer pictures would be appreciated and different angles as well.

I'm not so ready to accept the second pic as that of a schist. If you look close there appears to be some structure to it in the form of parralel lines or breaks (for want of a better term) on top that suggest bark. Second, the front of the rock looks too cleanly sheared off which with a schist would not happen (to my experience) the mica or chlorite especially would not break so clean. There would be xl edges visable and I see none. If you can post other pics of that it will help.

It actually looks more like Quartzite to me.

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

I'm not so ready to accept the second pic as that of a schist. If you look close there appears to be some structure to it in the form of parralel lines or breaks (for want of a better term) on top that suggest bark. Second, the front of the rock looks too cleanly sheared off which with a schist would not happen (to my experience) the mica or chlorite especially would not break so clean. There would be xl edges visable and I see none. If you can post other pics of that it will help.

It actually looks more like Quartzite to me.

How 'bout metagraywacke?

In any case, I doubt (based on the pic) that it's petwood. Looks more like fine-grained igneous or metamorphic rock.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I concur, ^ he makes a good argument.

I agree rugose coral impression, not necessarily a horn coral.

Take for example, these Missisipian rugose corals from IN.

post-142-12527200964152_thumb.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Thanks for the replies, here are some more pictures.

post-2106-12527285706561_thumb.jpgpost-2106-12527285846104_thumb.jpg

It may not be a schist, but it looks to be either igneous or metmorphic in origin.