Skin Print?

grendel67

Hi everyone

Just have a nother fossil my son have he didn't find it. I bought it at a local auction from a fossil and rock collector. I got it with other fossils in a box and this one didn't have a Id tag with it. To me it looks like a skin print or fossilized skin. I think North Dekota the others in the box was from there. Its about 5 inchs by 3 inch and 1/4 inch thick. Has ridges on one side and not on the other.

post-2235-12528187262092_thumb.jpg

post-2235-12528187390886_thumb.jpg

post-2235-12528187492638_thumb.jpg

post-2235-12528187607267_thumb.jpg

Looks like a eggshell fragment maybe protoceratop. Do you have a picture of the other side?

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I think it's way too big to be an eggshell fragment, and the pattern is wrong in any case for either that or a skin impression. My first thought was that it is coral-like; maybe a calcareous algae or something of the sort?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think it's way too big to be an eggshell fragment, and the pattern is wrong in any case for either that or a skin impression. My first thought was that it is coral-like; maybe a calcareous algae or something of the sort?

I have a picture somewhere of eggshell that has that pattern or close but Auspex right size is to big. Algae maybe don't know would still the other side if you can get a picture. Will try to find picture and scan it.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

That doesn't much look like the shell on any of the eggs that I have. Nor does it look like the skin positives that I have. I don't know what it is, but it is interesting for sure. I believe you should be able to identify egg shell frags from a cross section. You would need access to magnification though.

Edited by PaleoPutz

Looks like a eggshell fragment maybe protoceratop. Do you have a picture of the other side?

HI

The second picture is the backside of the piece.

HI

The second picture is the backside of the piece.

Thanks OK not shell!! So coral or algae ?

Coral or algae are possibilities, but my first thought was calcareous sponge. I have a piece from Nora Springs Iowa almost identical.

Edited by John K