Sevengill Teeth

dbtjunkie

• New Members

I have been lucky lately and have found some sevengill teeth whole and partial. all of them have come from spoil from the lee creek mine. these are so cool to me and i hope to find more.

post-258-1203802041_thumb.jpg

Nice teeth! they are so cool looking, great finds :D

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I have been lucky lately and have found some sevengill teeth whole and partial. all of them have come from spoil from the lee creek mine. these are so cool to me and i hope to find more.

Hey dtbjunkie. Ive never found too many sharks teeth over the years, but now that I see what you have, it makes me wonder what my son found at that shark tooth hill place in bakersfeild a few years back? We did find some shark teeth, but we also found a few verts from whatever kind of animals, but when we brought the verts home and started to clean them up, my son found a tooth that has several of those cusps thingys. I have no idea where its at right now, but im guessing it has about 8 to 10 of em on this one tooth? And its still stuck onto the vert! If I can ever come across it again I will take some photos. But any ideas would be great. Thanks

RB

Keep your eye out for the symphyseal, it looks like a crown. Those are my favorite. I wish someone would show me the difference between sixgill and sevengill. I would love to see a lot of both next to each other.

s1.bmp

post-173-1203811017_thumb.jpg

Hey dtbjunkie. Ive never found too many sharks teeth over the years, but now that I see what you have, it makes me wonder what my son found at that shark tooth hill place in bakersfeild a few years back? We did find some shark teeth, but we also found a few verts from whatever kind of animals, but when we brought the verts home and started to clean them up, my son found a tooth that has several of those cusps thingys. I have no idea where its at right now, but im guessing it has about 8 to 10 of em on this one tooth? And its still stuck onto the vert! If I can ever come across it again I will take some photos. But any ideas would be great. Thanks

RB

WOW, a tooth still stuck in the vert? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Some of my cow sharks. There is another type of tooth that looks like a broken cow, only 2 cones.

Hey Cliffaddicted, thats exactly what it is!!! Wow!!! It has a much much bigger rooth than the ones you show in your photos. Are there more than one kind of cow shark? And just what in the heck does a cow shark look like?

And Cris, the tooth I have is stuck "onto" the very, and not "into" the vert. I wish it was the other way around though.

RB

Here's my humble collection of cow sharks. Counter-clockwise from the upper left is a pathologic upper tooth of Hexanchus gigas (sixgill), a lower H. gigas both from Chile, Notorhynchus primigenius (sevengill) from Lee Creek, Weltonia ancistrodon and Hexanchus microdon, both from the eocene of Morocco. The largest tooth measures 1 5/8" for scale. The second photo is the living sharpnose sevengill shark (Heptranchias perlo). This is a good size jaw for the species and the lower teeth are about 1/2 long.

post-77-1203867878_thumb.jpg

post-77-1203867918_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

And Cris, the tooth I have is stuck "onto" the vert, and not "into" the vert. I wish it was the other way around though.

RB

Ahh, I misread... I wonder if anyone's found a tooth stuck in a bone/vert before.

Ahh, I misread... I wonder if anyone's found a tooth stuck in a bone/vert before.

I don't have one, but I've seen a seal vertabra with a tooth stuck in it. I think Geofossil has a bone with a dinosaur tooth stuck in it as well.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, those are some nice sevengill teeth. The only cow shark teeth I have are Notorhynchus primigenisis, and Weltonia ancistrodon.

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Here is a tooth through a bone. on the other side, you can see the root of the tooth, and the root of another tooth that is broken off in it, but doesn't make it all the way through.

post-40-1204848119_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Wow, those are some nice sevengill teeth. The only cow shark teeth I have are Notorhynchus primigenisis, and Weltonia ancistrodon.

Well, you're not eligible to be in our inner circle of shark tooth collectors without at least three species of cow sharks! :(

Now, I just happen to have some very nice, very inexpensive Hexanchus microdon teeth over on the Trades and Sales sub-forum. One of these teeth could be your ticket into the club! :)

Check 'em out!

-------Harry Pristis :P

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

How very subtle of you Harry :D

So if three species of cow shark get you in the club, what do you get if you have at least nine species, not including three modern species? I have Notidanodon loosi, Notidanodon lanceolatus, Weltonia ancistrodon, Hexanchus microdon, Hexanchus agassizi, Hexanchus gigas, Hexanchus andersoni, Notorhynchus kempi, and Notorhynchus primigenius. They are from seven foreign countries, Chile, Peru, Morocco, England, France, Kazakhstan, and Russia, and five states in the U.S., Md., Va., N.C., S.C., and Ca.

OK, Ron is apparently the Grand Poohbah of the club

Ok... what If I said that I had even more - 6 more...? For the Order Hexanchiformes I could add: Chlamydoselachus sp. (BC Canada), Hexanchus collinsoni (Virginia), Notorynchus serratissimus (England), Weltonia burnhamensis (England), Heptranchias sp (BC Canada), Sphenodus stschurowskii (Russia and England)...

post-213-1204947927_thumb.jpg post-213-1204948289_thumb.jpg post-213-1204948510_thumb.jpg post-213-1204948523_thumb.jpg post-213-1204948652_thumb.jpgpost-213-1204948831_thumb.jpg post-213-1204949274_thumb.jpg

First pic, Chlamydoselachus sp. (BC Canada)

Second pic, Sphenodus stschurowskii (Russia)

Third and Fourt pics, Hexanchus collinsoni (Virginia)

Fifth and sixth Pics, Weltonia burnhamensis (England)

Seventh pic, Notorynchus serratissimus (England)

Lots more - have to find them on my back up drive.

First pic, Chlamydoselachus sp. (BC Canada)

Second pic, Sphenodus stschurowskii (Russia)

Third and Fourt pics, Hexanchus collinsoni (Virginia)

Fifth and sixth Pics, Weltonia burnhamensis (England)

Seventh pic, Notorynchus serratissimus (England)

Lots more - have to find them on my back up drive.

post-42-1204953278_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest