Bird Bones From Calvert Cliffs Formation

Flagponds Pirate

Can anybody tell me how rare it is to find bird bones from the Cliffs? I believe I have two examples, but wont be sure until I have time to take them to the Marine Museum.

Guest Smilodon

Can anybody tell me how rare it is to find bird bones from the Cliffs? I believe I have two examples, but wont be sure until I have time to take them to the Marine Museum.

Well, it depends on whether they are from the Miocene or from KFC. :P

Here's a perspective from my experience:

Through the 70's, I collected more 5"+ Megs than fossil bird bones.

'Course, the big Megs are a tad more conspicuous, but I didn't hunt with Meg goggles on; I examined everything that caught my attention.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They are more common to find in the flagspond area than anywhere else along the cliffs, at least from my experience :D

But, that being said, they are not found that often.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

• 6 months later...

Hi wonder if you were able to determine if they were bird bones? I have not found any at Brownie's Beach and have only been to Flagponds a couple of time. I have found 3 from Lee Creek. Plan on going to Brownies tomorrow first time this year. Live up past Baltimore in Balt County. Do you find much at Flag Ponds? Fossilnut

The commonly preserved bird bones (femur, tibiotarsus, tarsometatarsus, coracoid, humerus, ulna, carpometacarpus) each have a pretty recognizable morphology; beyond that, they are very thin-walled and hollow (and most often broken so you can see that).

Here's a typical sampling from Lee Creek:

post-423-12689488216765_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!