U.K. v USA and other countries shipping systems

JohnBrewer

How is shipping worked out in your country? Here in the U.K. it’s a combination of weight and parcel size, see the image. A 1kg parcel is cheaper than a 2kg parcel of the same size. 

74183C23-39C9-4D43-8240-7C6F78C02693.thumb.jpeg.3978d7e41b851fe5ae3e0df8c5035194.jpeg

Am I right in thinking that in the USA you price on parcel size only. So a small ‘flat rate’ box is the same price regardless whether it has lead or feathers inside? If this is correct can someone give sizes of boxes and prices?

• I found this Informative 1

In Morocco it is based on parcel weight and country of destination. Size is irrelevant. 

But they do prefer you to use their own regulation size boxes where possible.  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Not sure about international, but here is a chart for Flat rate prices: 

Priority Mail _ USPS.pdf

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Now keep in mind the "flat rate priority boxes" are a set price for whatever you can fit in the box up to 70lbs. For the same rate no matter where in the US it goes. ( good for heavier items).

The regular priority boxes and other boxes mailed "priority mail" are subject to the weight, location, size of box restrictions as everything else.

For us fossil traders (which is basically like sending rocks), the weight factor plays a key role making the "flat rate" option more ideal. Plus it comes with tracking and $50. worth of insurance.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 11/12/2018 at 9:24 PM, caldigger said:

Now keep in mind the "flat rate priority boxes" are a set price for whatever you can fit in the box up to 70lbs. For the same rate no matter where in the US it goes. ( good for heavier items).

The regular priority boxes and other boxes mailed "priority mail" are subject to the weight, location, size of box restrictions as everything else.

For us fossil traders (which is basically like sending rocks), the weight factor plays a key role making the "flat rate" option more ideal. Plus it comes with tracking and $50. worth of insurance.

:dinothumb:

Is there a size weigh table for international Doren?

John, I have little experience with international USPS shipping. Here is their shipping cost page: https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

On 12/11/2018 at 3:24 PM, caldigger said:

For intl I think the flat rate small box has a weight limit of 4 lbs and the larger boxes 20 lbs.  

Another concern is customs.  I think if you mark contents as gift status with a description such as “rock samples for study”, life gets easier.  

Also, if you declare a value of 25 bucks or less, no duties are collected and fewer snags occur with customs.

All that said, I hate intl shipping of any kind, having experienced problems maybe 25% of the time.  Shipping within country has worked out ok, but I’d much prefer to skip all the emails, packing, labels, and expense by just handing things off in person. That’s why most of my surplus goes to nearby schools, coworkers and random local kids.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

10 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

That’s why most of my surplus goes to nearby schools, coworkers and random local kids.

"Psst...hey kid, ya wanna fossil?

Dorensigbadges.JPG