Fossil Hunting In Huntsville, Al

Shuko

Yesterday I undertook a short trip to two sites in Huntsville, AL. I had a lot of fun with a friend of mine, and we located a nice selection of fossils, including Pentremites, Archimedes, Heterophrentis, and several forms of brachiopods I have yet to identify. I'm not really sure what the age of the strata were that we visited. I may need some help identifying that. ^^;

You can see some photos from my excursion in its section of my gallery:

Link

Bankhead was the shale only, Ashburn site was both.
Thanks a lot, man! I really appreciate it. :) Jamie and I really enjoyed ourselves! I hope to return the favour someday!
Shuko

You sure are organized, and you found a lot of cool fossils!

Organized? Me? Lol. You must have me confused with someone else. If I were really organized, I'd have everything categorized and identified properly by now. xD

But thank you for the compliment, and I'm really happy with our haul. It was a good trip. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy I was thinking of trying my luck in some Al areas could you give me a heads up on good spots? Im not familiar with the area at all but any info would help.

I cant seem to find any good geologic maps online other than the standard generalized state info

Thanx much

Glenn

Guest N.AL.hunter
Howdy I was thinking of trying my luck in some Al areas could you give me a heads up on good spots? Im not familiar with the area at all but any info would help.

I cant seem to find any good geologic maps online other than the standard generalized state info

Thanx much

Glenn

Flemgunner, are you in La = Louisiana, or La = Lower Alabama? You see, up here in Huntsville area we often call the southern part of the state, LA as in: Yeh I went to LA this weekend, pause, Lower Alabama. I can tell you some general and some specific spots to look for fossils, but I need to know where you are coming from. It's a long drive up to Huntsville area from Louisiana.

N.AL.Hunter, or Delos