Finally,,, I Started To Prep!

RJB

Hey gang. I finally got around to prepping today. It was cold and snowing and I did have trouble with ice in one of my air lines, but I was able to use my air abrasive unit and get some trilobites prepped out. Im going to wait till thursday when its supposed to get above 40 degrees to get my tile saw out and square them up and get rid of all the extra rock. These first photos are of a trilo called Madocia, and I got these from what is called the red beds. Very very very hard to find any bug in the red beds, but when you do, they are freakin gorgeous!!! First photo is how they look before prepping, second photo is of the first one all finished and the third photo is of another all finished up!! WooooooHoooooo!!!

RB

post-171-1203889067_thumb.jpg

post-171-1203889131_thumb.jpg

post-171-1203889173_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus
... I got these from what is called the red beds. Very very very hard to find any bug in the red beds, but when you do, they are freakin gorgeous!!!

Aren't most red beds terrestrial?

Aren't most red beds terrestrial?

I am not sure what you mean? I know that terrestrial is land, but the locals in Utah call this place, "the red beds" because the rock is red. Does that help. Oh jeeesh. I just realized i didnt put any information with those! These Madocias come from the House Range in Utah, about 525 million years old. Very near what is called the amphitheater where they get all those Elrathias. The House Range is HUGE!!! People over the years have died out there!!!

RB

Ok, about 20 or 30 miles from the "Red Beds" is another place called "Swazy Springs". You only find very small bugs there, mostly the agnostids, but once in awhile you get these giant bugs about 1/2 inch in lenght, and those are the big ones of this particular species, they can be found much much smaller! Wow!!! Ha!!! Hunitng this site without my glasses can be tuff!!! But here are some granddaddys of whatever this species is! Before and after pics.

RB

post-171-1203891392_thumb.jpg

post-171-1203891439_thumb.jpg

post-171-1203891482_thumb.jpg

To answer your question - typically most 'red beds' are late paleo-mesozoic iron rich terrestrial sediments, primarily sandstones. However, there are many marine rocks that are red as well (e.g. the Permian Phosphoria Formation here in SW Montana). Deep sea radiolarian chert in the San Francisco bay area is also very red.

The red color is primarily a factor of two things: the sediment chemistry, and the diagenetic environment after deposition (i.e. all the things, including chemical, that happen to a rock after burial).

Bobby

Great prepping! I hope I get good at it soon.

Hey Nicholas. Just buy some good prep tools when you can. It took me many many years to aquire all the tools I needed! The wife and I raised three boys, and we are just working stiffs trying to make a living, thats why it took so long. But once you get a new "prep toy" and then use it, you will get better at prepping, then you will see why and how you need more "prep toys"!!! Its very addicting!!! Plus, not only that, once you start prepping you will start to hunt fossils differently. Once you can see even a piece of a certain fossil that lots of folks would toss aside, you will look at it in a prepping sence. I have many a fossil that other folks just broke open and tossed aside because they either didnt know what it was or didnt have any prep tools?

RB

Guest solius symbiosus
To answer your question - typically most 'red beds' are late paleo-mesozoic iron rich terrestrial sediments, primarily sandstones. However, there are many marine rocks that are red as well (e.g. the Permian Phosphoria Formation here in SW Montana). Deep sea radiolarian chert in the San Francisco bay area is also very red.

The red color is primarily a factor of two things: the sediment chemistry, and the diagenetic environment after deposition (i.e. all the things, including chemical, that happen to a rock after burial).

Bobby

Thanks for clarifying that. Along time ago on a field trip we saw some Ord red beds, in either E Tenn. or W NC that were aolian sand deposits.

awesome prep job as usuall Ron! those trilos are very B E A Utiful!!! cant wait to fnd some aussie trilos of my own!!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Anyone notice that right after the comment "People over the years have died out there!!!" Anson wrote:

"Very very nice!"

Wow, be careful when collecting in remote areas with Anson!! HAHA

:gator: LOL, didn't pick up on that.... Hey, Anson, I hope I don't see you on

the national news

RB, those are great looking trilobites you completed.

Have you ever sent Sam any pics for possible trilo

of the month?

I love fossil bugs. They are unique looking guys....

Hope you get the 40 degree weather, ALMOST feel guilty

with todays temp of 81. Of course tomorrow in the 50's.

Welcome to the forum!

the full species name is Modocia typicalis it occurs in the middle Cambrian Marjum formation and from rumors that I have heard going around lately the location where the majority of the fossils were found is now covered in tons rock after a reclamation process from a landscaping stone company but than again its just a rumor so i don't know.

Hey Roz. I have thought about sending sam some photos, but I have to first find some bugs that are a bit rarer than these common ones. These are very cool to me becuase I have not found them before. Im going to try and go back for some of the rarer ones in 2009?

And jared, if its the same location, there is tons and tons of rock that have been bulldozed over the side of a particular area, but there is still plenty of area to hunt the redbeds.

RB