My trilobite of the week.

rew

Trilobite of the week #299 is one of those bugs that is cooler than it looks -- Stelckaspis sp. of Early Silurian age from the Earlton Formation in Northern Ontario, Canada.

This is a Silurian Odontopleurid, and is quite rare.  Mine is unfortunately rolled over and the pygidium is slightly disarticulated, but it is complete.

dorsal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

back-cpr-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

ANNOUNCEMENT

Inspired by this highly acclaimed monograph on the Dinosauria, I have decided to created a special project -- the Trilobite Alphabet, starting next week.

For the next six months I will go through the alphabet, one letter per week.  Trilobites for that week will begin with that letter.  Trilobites have binomial names, so it is the genus that must begin with the proper letter.   The obvious danger for this project is our local trilobite expert -- I say, "J is for Juraspis clarksoni" and our local trilobite expert states, "Johnson and Goldwin revised the Anomocaridae and now Juraspis clarksoni is Palella clarksoni."  My entire project is a flaming ruin.

So, to reduce the chances of this happening, there will be many bonus trilobites -- all but one week will have at least one bonus trilobite, and many will have two.  If the main trilobite is renamed into another letter of the alphabet, one of the bonus trilobites gets promoted to main status.  The main trilobite for each week will be posted on Friday.  If there is one bonus trilobite it will be posted on Tuesday, if there are two they will be posted on Monday and Wednesday.

I've been planning this for some time so I have held back some of my best bugs for this project.  This will go through nearly all of my remaining trilobites, but for various reasons there will be a few interesting trilobites at the end after the alphabet is over.

This will be a family friendly project so bring the kids.

dinosaur_alphabet.jpg

Edited by rew
  • Enjoyed 4
  • Thank You 1

Which of the 21 major alphabets will you be using?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

@rew, this sounds like a great idea!  I look forward to seeing more of your fabulous collection, and now with a theme!  Thanks!!

7 minutes ago, rew said:

The Roman alphabet, of course.

I was hoping for Burmese. It's got lots of trilobite shapes! :D

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

39 minutes ago, rew said:

The obvious danger for this project is our local trilobite expert -- I say, "J is for Juraspis clarksoni" and our local trilobite expert states, "Johnson and Goldwin revised the Anomocaridae and now Juraspis clarksoni is Palella clarksoni."  My entire project is a flaming ruin

Could it be possible  to ask our local expert if you could run the letter and it’s trilobites by , before publishing. It is a nice Idea of a project. It would make a fun book too. 

Just now, Bobby Rico said:

Could it be possible  to ask our local expert if you could run the letter and it’s trilobites by , before publishing. It is a nice Idea of a project. It would make a fun book too. 

It will probably be more fun for most people to see me be embarrassed in public.

• I Agree 1

47 minutes ago, rew said:

It will probably be more fun for most people to see me be embarrassed in public.

I really was not thinking about any embarrassments, just your project working out for you. Myself I make plenty of mistakes on TFF  but most the time someone will help me out. :thumbsu:

Edited by Bobby Rico

5 minutes ago, rew said:

Well, I don't think that is the case :rolleyes:.  It is very difficult for us amateurs to keep up with all the taxonomic revisions and subtle species differences, even when just focusing on a single group.  That is why experts such as @piranha are so valuable.    But I do often enjoy seeing the references and explanations that are cited for the suggested revisions.  It has helped me on more than one occasion.

• I Agree 1

Trilobite #300 is a bonus trilobite.

A is for Apatokephalus incisus of Early Ordovician age from the Upper Fezouata Formation at Zagora, Morocco.

It's closest relative in my collection is Remopleurides elongatus, both are in the family Remopleurididae.  This bug has both an axial spine and a tail spine, the former overlays the latter.  The pygidium is covered by the head of a Euloma trilobite.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Trilobite #301 is a bonus trilobite.

A is for Acanthopyge sp. of Middle Devonian age from the Hamar Laghdad Formation at Djebel Mrakib, Morocco.

I believe this is still an undescribed species.  This has a proportionately narrower thorax and smaller pygidium than Acanthopyge haueri, and the spines are longer, but the spines are in the same positions in both species.  The AMNH trilobite gallery lists this species as Acanthopyge sp..  I will be surprised when this trilobite does get a formal description if it isn't placed in the Acanthopyge genus.

Nearly all examples of this species are molts where the genal spines are found elsewhere on the rock (from the same specimen or otherwise) and then moved into their proper position.  This specimen is not a molt, the genal spines were attached as they are.  The shell is excellent and the trilobite is prepared in "flying mode", which is dramatic but also a cause for anxiety -- it's a lot easier to break.  This is smaller than most specimens.

right-cropped-small.jpg

front-cpy-small.jpg

Edited by rew
  • Enjoyed 3

Trilobite #302 is the main trilobite of this week.

A is for Acidaspis cincinnatiensis of Ordovician age from the Kope Formation in Pendleton County, Kentucky.

This is an uncommon Odontopleurid.  The trilobite is 2.1 cm long, typical for the species.  If you want to see a monster example go to the AMNH trilobite gallery.

right-rotated-cleaned-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

This week is brought to you by the letter B.

There will be two bonus trilobites.  The three trilobites will be from three different continents.

Trilobite of the week #303 is a bonus trilobite.

B is for Bondonella sdzuyi, of Early Cambrian age (Atdabanian stage) from the Issafen Formation at Taroudant, Morocco.  This is in the family Neltneriidae in the order Redlichida, so its closest relative in my collection is Neltneria termieri.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

left-cropped-small.jpg

Edited by rew
  • Enjoyed 4

Trilobite of the week #304 is a bonus trilobite.

B is for Bathyurellus teretus of Middle Ordovician age from the Filmore Formation at Millard County, Utah.

This is a rare proetid.

• Enjoyed 4

Trilobite of the week #305 is a main trilobite.

B is for Boedaspis ensifer of Early Ordovician age From the Wolhov Formation at Putilovo Quarry, St. Petersburg region, Russia.

This is the only Odontopleurid I know of from the St. Petersburg formations.

left-cropped-small.jpg

front-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

That's quite the extravagant trilobite! Even for the Odontopleurids.

• I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

1 hour ago, Top Trilo said:

That's quite the extravagant trilobite! Even for the Odontopleurids.

Extravagant is the word.  I believe it took about a month to prep that bug.

5 hours ago, rew said:

Extravagant is the word.  I believe it took about a month to prep that bug.

That's a long time but I believe it. It must take a lot of time to remove the matrix around each spine while also preserving the quality of the shell. Even the hypostome is exposed!

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

This week is brought to you by the letter C.  There will be two bonus trilobites, and the three trilobites will be from different orders.

Trilobite of the week #306 is a bonus trilobite.

C is for Ceratarges aries of Middle Devonian age (Eifelian stage) from the El Oftal Formation at Jebel Zireg, Morocco.

I have two specimens. the first five photos show the first, prone, specimen.  It has all the required spines of any Ceratarges, plus the large curved spine coming up from the center of pygidium that defines the species, plus a pair of occipital spines, plus small spines on the large pygidal spines.

The next three photos show the second, retroflexed specimen has all the spines that the first one has plus additional vertical spines at the base of the pleural spines.

This leads to the question -- how many extra spines can you add to a Ceratarges aries before you have a different species of Ceratarges?

dorsal-cleaned-rotated-small.jpg

front-right-cleaned-small.jpg

back-cropped-cleaned-small.jpg

right-cleaned-small.jpg

right-rear-cpr-small.jpg

left-small.jpg

right-cleaned-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

This is my favorite thread here. Trilobites are my favorite fossils out there and this thread is loaded!!! Thank you for sharing all of this. 

I'm glad you like it.  I decided to get all my trilobites photographed and this thread has pushed me to do it.