My trilobite of the week.

rew

Posted (edited)

Trilobite of the week #336 is a bonus trilobite.

M is for Monkaspis daulis of Late Cambrian age from the Kushan Formation at Linyi, Shandong, China.

This unusual member of the Asaphida has a sawtooth pygidium.

dorsal-cleaned-rotated-small.jpg

Edited by rew
  • Enjoyed 6

Trilobite of the week #337 is a main trilobite.

M is for Metopolichas platyrhinus of Middle Ordovician age from the Huk Formation in the Oslo region of Norway.  Neither of the M bonus trilobites is common, this one is outright rare.  I believe this is one of two complete examples of this trilobite from the Huk Formation although several more have been found in the St. Petersburg region of Russia.

This unusual lichid has a spatula like rostrum.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

right-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

This week is brought to you by the letter N.  There will be two bonus trilobites and each bug will be from a different order.

• Thank You 1

Trilobite of the week #338 is a bonus trilobite.

N is for Neseuretus tristani of Middle Ordovician age from the Volongo Formation at St. Pedro de Cova, Volongo, Portugal.

This is a good example of a fairly common Calymenid trilobite.  The rocks of the Volongo Formation tend to be stretched in one direction and compressed in the orthogonal direction, and the fossils within them are stretched, compressed, and skewed, depending upon how they are oriented.  This fossil is a bit skewed and stretched out somewhat wider than it should be.

dorsal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Trilobite of the week #339 is a bonus trilobite.

N is for Nevadia weeksi of Early Cambrian age (Late Atdabanian stage), from the Campito Formation in Nevada.

This early Redlichid has a bite mark on the left side  So we know why this one died.

• Enjoyed 6

Trilobite of the week #340 is a main trilobite.

N is for Nanillaenus latiaxiatus of Late Ordovician age from the Verulam Formation at Brechin, Ontario.  This has the oversized head that is typical of members of the Illaenidae.

This is a cute little bug.

right-copyrighted-small.jpg

front-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

Nanillaenus is not a valid genus in Ontario, and has not been since the work of Amati and Westrop. The correct assignment is Thaleops.

Amati, L., Westrop, S.R. (2004) "A Systematic Revision of Thaleops (Trilobita: Illaenidae) with New Species form the Middle and Late Ordovician of Oklahoma and New York." Journal of Systematic Palaeontology, 2(3):207-256

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

So I have a Theleops latiaxiatus . This is the first time a main trilobite got nuked.  It looks like  Nevadia weeksi will have to be promoted to the top spot.

Edited by rew

5 hours ago, rew said:

So I have a Theleops latiaxiatus. This is the first time a main trilobite got nuked.

Double nuked: mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2F mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo76.gif&t=1705078002&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c9b-13001201d600&sig=iqlC3d8UXnzau2oJ9Jk8WQ--~D

Thaleops latiaxiata  emo73.gif

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 6

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

To be fair, your trilobite (a very pretty specimen) has not been nuked, which would have been a shame.  Only the name has been nuked, and so all you have to do is type a new label.  Happens to me fairly regularly.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

On 1/12/2024 at 12:06 PM, piranha said:

Double nuked: mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2F mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo76.gif&t=1705078002&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c9b-13001201d600&sig=iqlC3d8UXnzau2oJ9Jk8WQ--~D

Thaleops latiaxiata  emo73.gif

My rule:  Never print the new label until after piranha chimes in.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

This week is brought to you by the letter O.   There will be two bonus trilobites.  The three bugs are from three different orders but all are from North America.

Trilobite of the week #341 is a bonus trilobite.

O is for Orygmaspis contracta of Late Cambrian age from the McKay Group at Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada.

This is a large specimen (5 cm long) but is imperfect, with a sliver of shell on the right side of the head, and the rock underneath it, missing.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

12 hours ago, rew said:

O is for Orygmaspis contracta of Late Cambrian age from the McKay Group at Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

The current classification: Orygmaspis (Parabolinoides) contracta contracta.

Frederickson 1949 established the new genus Parabolinoides.

Westrop 1986 reclassified it a subgenus of Orygmaspis.  Chatterton & Gibb 2016 have classified this type as a subspecies of O. (P.) contracta.

image.thumb.png.a1a74d88dabfbcd541b476e36cd6ae15.png

Chatterton, B.D.E., Gibb, S. 2016

Furongian (Upper Cambrian) Trilobites from the McKay Group, Bull River Valley, Near Cranbrook, Southeastern British Columbia, Canada.

Palaeontographica Canadiana, 35:1-275

Frederickson, E.A. 1949
Trilobite Fauna of the Upper Cambrian Honey Creek Formation.
Journal of Paleontology, 23(4):341-363

Westrop, S.R. 1986
Trilobites of the Upper Cambrian Sunwaptan Stage, Southern Canadian Rocky Mountains, Alberta.
Palaeontographica Canadiana, 3:1-179

• I found this Informative 3

On 1/12/2024 at 1:03 PM, FossilDAWG said:

To be fair, your trilobite (a very pretty specimen) has not been nuked, which would have been a shame.  Only the name has been nuked, and so all you have to do is type a new label.  Happens to me fairly regularly.

Don

When you're doing a trilobite alphabet a name change matters.  That's why there are bonus trilobites.  The main N trilobite is now Nevadia weeksi.

Trilobite of the week #342 is a bonus trilobite.

O is for Olenoides nevadensis of Middle Cambrian age from a limestone lens within the Upper Wheeler Formation, at Drum Mountains, Millard County, Utah.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Trilobite #343 is a main trilobite.

O is for Odontocephalus aegeria of Middle Devonian age from the Onodaga Limestone at Perry County, Pennsylvania.

This Dalmanitid has a double pointed pygidium but the most interesting feature is at the other end -- strange "cog teeth" along the front of the head.

This trilobite species has a sad history.  Most specimens were dug up in the 80s and "prepared" with acid -- which removed the limestone, but also removed the shell.  The shell was then "restored" with shoe polish.  Most of the specimens that are available are these "shoe polish" bugs.  This specimen was left unprepared until recently when it was prepped with modern air abrasion techniques.  So this specimen has real shell.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

Edited by rew
  • Enjoyed 6

This week is brought to you by the letter P.  There will be two bonus trilobites.

Trilobite #344 is a bonus trilobte.

P is for Proceratocephala terribilis of Late Ordovician age from the Lower Ktaoua Formation at Tazzarine, Morocco.

right-cleaned-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

11 minutes ago, rew said:

P is for Proceratocephala terribilis of Late Ordovician age from the Lower Ktaoua Formation at Tazzarine, Morocco.

The online sellers strike again. This odontopleurid has not been formally described from Morocco and should be labeled: cf. Proceratocephala sp.

The type species of P. terribilis (Reed 1914) is from Scotland.  The genus also occurs in the Czech Republic, Poland, Sweden and a few UK localities.

image.thumb.png.d4319c5c7ef5f46ddbe0dc1283283ce4.png

P. terribilis figure from:

Whittington, H.B. 1956
Type and Other Species of Odontopleuridae (Trilobita).
Journal of Paleontology, 30(3):504-520

• I found this Informative 4

Trilobite #345 is a bonus trilobite.

P is for Psychopyge praestans, of Devonian age (Late Emsian stage), from Foum Zguid, Zagora, Morocco.

The curved occipital spine is bigger than that of Psychopyge elegans but the most obvious feature is a long, broad rostrum with a notch at the end.  Overall, Psychopyge praestans is more psycho than P. elegans.

dorsal-cleaned-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

left-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

front-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Duckbill trilobite. Cool!

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Trilobite #346 is a main trilobite.

P is for Pandaspinapyga tumida of Early Ordovician age (Voklhov horizon) from the Wolhov Formation at Putilovo quarry, St. Petersburg region, Russia.

This is an uncommon Cheirurid.

left-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

front-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 4