My trilobite of the week.

rew

Triarthrus belongs to the Order Olenida according to Adrain (2011).

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

14 hours ago, Kane said:

Triarthrus belongs to the Order Olenida according to Adrain (2011).

I have Triarthrus as a member of the family Olenidae in the suborder Olenina in the order Ptychopariida.

So has Olenina been raised to order status?

30 minutes ago, rew said:

I have Triarthrus as a member of the family Olenidae in the suborder Olenina in the order Ptychopariida.

So has Olenina been raised to order status?

No, Triarthrus was among the suborder Olenina moved to the newly erected Order Olenida. 

Adrain, J.M. 2012. Toward a phylogenetic classification of the Trilobita: Synapomorphies and structure of the Order Olenida Adrain 2011. Presentation at Geological Society of America 2012. GSA Abstracts Vol 44 (7): 373.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The Order Olenida was established in this paper:

Adrain, J.M. 2011
Class Trilobita Walch, 1771.

In: Zhang Z.Q. (ed.) Animal Biodiversity: An Outline of Higher-Level Classification and Survey of Taxonomic Richness.
Zootaxa, 3148:104-109  PDF LINK

• Thank You 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

20 hours ago, piranha said:

The Order Olenida was established in this paper:

Adrain, J.M. 2011
Class Trilobita Walch, 1771.

In: Zhang Z.Q. (ed.) Animal Biodiversity: An Outline of Higher-Level Classification and Survey of Taxonomic Richness.
Zootaxa, 3148:104-109  PDF LINK

You read the literature so I don't have to.  I see that in addition to Olenida there are new orders Eodiscida and Aulacopleurida, but no order Agnostida or Pytchopariida.  And a pile of families are listed as "order uncertain".

I have an educational hobby.  Sometimes it seems *too* educational.

Edited by rew

Trilobite #356 is a main trilobite.

T is for Tricrepicephalus texanus of Middle Cambrian age from the Weeks Formation in Millard County, Utah.

It's closest relative in my collection is the Meteoraspis dis.  Both are in the family Tricrepicephalidae.

This specimen, at 6.5 cm, is large for the species.  The specimen is flattened as is typical for Cambrian trilobites.  I suspect the two holes in the head would disappear if the head was properly inflated.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

This week is brought to you by the letter U.  There is one bonus trilobite, which will be posted on Tuesday.

Trilobite #357 is a bonus trilobite.

U is for Utaspis marjumensis of Middle Cambrian age from the Marjum Formation at the House Range, Millard County, Utah.

This is the last member of the Alokistocaridae in my collection.

A small partial specimen of the same species is next to the full size specimen.

full-plate-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

Edited by rew
  • Enjoyed 4

Trilobite #358 is a main trilobite.

U is for Upplandiops calvus of Middle Ordovician age from the Lassnamjagi Horizon of Glyadino quarry in the St. Petersburg region, Russia.

This is the only member of the Pterygometopidae in this alphabet group.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

right-cpy-small.jpg

right-eye-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

This week is brought to you by the letter V.  There will be two bonus trilobites.  Each trilobite comes from a different continent.

Trilobite #359 is a bonus trilobite.

V is for Valdaites limatus of Early Ordovician age from the Asery Level of the Vilpovitsy quarry in the St. Petersburg region of Russia.

There is a slight concavity in the profile of the pygidium of this Asaphid trilobite.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Posted (edited)

Trilobite #360 is a bonus trilobite.

V is for Vogesina aspera of Devonian age (Eifelian stage) from the Belen Formation at Sica-sica, La Paz, Bolivia.

This is the only member of the Calmoniidae in this alphabet group.

There is a chip of the pygidium missing, but otherwise this is a fine example of one of the less common Bolivian trilobites.

dorsal-cropped-cleaned-rotated-small.jpg

left-cleaned-small.jpg

front-cropped-cleaned-small.jpg

Edited by rew
  • Enjoyed 4

Trilobite #361 is a main trilobite.

V is for Viaphacops claviger of Early Devonian age, from the Wenban Limestone of the Cortez Range, Utah.

This is the only member of the Phacopidae in this alphabet group.  This is the "other" spiny member of the Phacopidae aside from Drotops armatus.

This has long genal spines, a small occipital spine, and short stubby axial spines on ever other thoracic segment.

dorsal-cleaned-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

left-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

front-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Dang.  I just got the book The Back to the Past Museum Guide to Trilobites II.

I went to the pages on the Wenban Limestones and there's my bug -- except it's called Paciphacops claviger.

Say it isn't so -- is this really a P trilobite?  If so, the Valdaites limatus will have to be the main V trilobite.

This week is brought to you by the letter W.  There will be two bonus trilobites.

On 3/9/2024 at 9:21 AM, rew said:

Dang.  I just got the book The Back to the Past Museum Guide to Trilobites II.

I went to the pages on the Wenban Limestones and there's my bug -- except it's called Paciphacops claviger.

Adding to the confusion, the other recent book: "The Trilobite Collector's Guide 2024" is still calling it Viaphacops. Originally designated as Phacops claviger by Haas 1969, it was subsequently reassigned as Paciphacops Wright & Haas 1990. Some trilobite workers have stated that this species is assigned to Paciphacops with uncertainty and a questionable generic assignment. Rumors of a long awaited revision of the North American Phacopinae will hopefully resolve this and numerous other unsettled taxonomic issues. emo73.gif :trilosurprise:

Haas, W. 1969
Lower Devonian Trilobites From Central Nevada and Northern Mexico.
Journal of Paleontology, 43(3):641-659

Wright, A.J., Haas, W. 1990
A New Early Devonian Spinose Phacopid Trilobite from Limekilns, New South Wales: Morphology, Affinities, Taphonomy and Palaeoenvironment.
Records of the Australian Museum, 42(2):137-147  PDF LINK

Posted (edited)

Okay.   For now I can get away with calling it Viaphacops claviger. 

Edited by rew

9 hours ago, piranha said:

Adding to the confusion, the other recent book: "The Trilobite Collector's Guide 2024" is still calling it Viaphacops. Originally designated as Phacops claviger by Haas 1969, it was subsequently reassigned as Paciphacops Wright & Haas 1990. Some trilobite workers have stated that this species is assigned to Paciphacops with uncertainty and a questionable generic assignment. Rumors of a long awaited revision of the North American Phacopinae will hopefully resolve this and numerous other unsettled taxonomic issues. emo73.gif :trilosurprise:

Haas, W. 1969
Lower Devonian Trilobites From Central Nevada and Northern Mexico.
Journal of Paleontology, 43(3):641-659

Wright, A.J., Haas, W. 1990
A New Early Devonian Spinose Phacopid Trilobite from Limekilns, New South Wales: Morphology, Affinities, Taphonomy and Palaeoenvironment.
Records of the Australian Museum, 42(2):137-147  PDF LINK

I also note that in the The Back to the Past Museum Guide to Trilobites II the superfamily Trinucleoidea is raised to order status, rather than placed under the Asaphida.  Is this generally accepted among experts?a

35 minutes ago, rew said:

Okay.   For now I can get away with calling it Viaphacops claviger. 

According to Wright & Haas 1990: Paciphacops claviger is still the current classification. It has not been been revised in the formal literature.

23 minutes ago, rew said:

I also note that in the The Back to the Past Museum Guide to Trilobites II the superfamily Trinucleoidea is raised to order status, rather than placed under the Asaphida.  Is this generally accepted among experts?

There are numerous combinations of orders swirling around....perhaps we will get more of a consensus in the not-too-distant future. happy0144.gif

Trilobite #362 is a bonus trilobite.

W is for Wujiajiania lindasimthae of Late Cambrian age from the McKay Group Formation at Bull River Valley, British Columbia, Canada.

This used by be in the Ptychopariida but now it's in the Olenida.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

8 hours ago, rew said:

no-no-smiley.gif?1292867644  W is for Wujiajiania lindasimthae

image.thumb.png.cb022f7170028757bef9bb50598cd5c1.png

• Enjoyed 1

15 minutes ago, rew said:

Typo.  Yes, thats lindasmithae.

Even with the assist from Vanna White....you're still only almost there! mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo12.gif&t=1710198061&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1ceb-68000501cf00&sig=QPdkcsjMO6zwpn_stGAUhQ--~D mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo20.gif&t=1710198061&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1ceb-68000501cf00&sig=QxXxTd49yG3ObCb0nZdT4A--~D

image.thumb.png.b2c63719c635c81e6873eea00546d558.png

Chatterton, B.D.E., Gibb, S. 2016

Furongian (Upper Cambrian) Trilobites from the McKay Group, Bull River Valley,

Near Cranbrook, Southeastern British Columbia, Canada.

Palaeontographica Canadiana, 35:1-275