Flint And Chert Fossils In And Around Tennessee

Dave Bowen

I'm finding that the roof ballast rocks in this area are loaded with flints, cherts, fossils, and I even found a geode on a roof here. The fossils are mostly corals and an occasional gastropod imprint. Most of them are crystalized. The rocks are a tannish-brown and smooth on the outside, with crystaline deposits in the crevices. Most of them are flint/chert on the inside.

Does anyone happen to have an idea of the source of these rocks? I'm hearing possibly the tennessee river, but I'm wondering if anyone from the area knows where they might be found? I would like to collect some bigger flint rocks for knapping, as well as the crystalized fossils.

Any help would be welcomed.

By the way, I'm in Memphis, TN.

Thanks

Dave

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

wait - your profile shows garland, texas.

other than asking whoever did the roof what company delivered the rock and asking them, about all you can assume is that it was probably brought from fairly nearby, simply because it costs a lot to move rock long distances, so for that sort of purpose, it probably was low-bid semi-local. everything you've described sounds sedimentary. stuff like that is typically mined from terraces near rivers. look in the phone book for gravel companies, or look on google earth for mined areas. or both. but i feel like you're always better off, if you can, finding stuff in the original location/formation, because it's usually in better condition, and you know where it's from. i personally kind of hate finding something cool in a gravel bed and not knowing where it really came from.

wait - your profile shows garland, texas.

other than asking whoever did the roof what company delivered the rock and asking them, about all you can assume is that it was probably brought from fairly nearby, simply because it costs a lot to move rock long distances, so for that sort of purpose, it probably was low-bid semi-local. everything you've described sounds sedimentary. stuff like that is typically mined from terraces near rivers. look in the phone book for gravel companies, or look on google earth for mined areas. or both. but i feel like you're always better off, if you can, finding stuff in the original location/formation, because it's usually in better condition, and you know where it's from. i personally kind of hate finding something cool in a gravel bed and not knowing where it really came from.

lol. To clear up the confusious... err, confusion, I AM from Garland, Tx but I work 2 weeks at a time in Memphis. Ok, the truth is, I'm actually two people at once. Don't ask me how I do that. It's an ancient chinese secret. No seriously, don't ask.

I am a roofing contractor here and I can't find out where the rocks came from. The roof was done about 15 years ago, and I was on it bidding it for a re-roof. I also would like to find the rocks in their natural state rather than on the roof. Plus, the roof is like 30 feet high and it's getting really hard to carry 40 pounds of rock down that ladder. If I wanted to work that hard, I would go hunting in Texoma with Creek Crawler (Barry) OMG that guy almost killed me one time out there. It was like 157 degrees outside and he took me to this place with these giant ammonites and I had to collect alot of them and carry them out for like 15 miles. I lost 17 pounds that day.

What was I talking about?

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Yes that was an arduous journey,but look at that wonderful Avatar you have ;) I think Tracer's advice is great.When you contact the contractor to bring in the re-roof material you might want to pick his brain abit.Just don't do it with your Estwing Paleo-Pick :D

Hope to hook up with you soon and do some more hunting......... :)

Yes that was an arduous journey,but look at that wonderful Avatar you have ;) I think Tracer's advice is great.When you contact the contractor to bring in the re-roof material you might want to pick his brain abit.Just don't do it with your Estwing Paleo-Pick :D

Hope to hook up with you soon and do some more hunting......... :)

Yea, I'm still trying to figure out where they came from. I'm on a mission. :)

The avatar ammonite was well worth the effort many times over. Thanks again for taking me. I'm working on making the Waco trip next weekend but Cherida has a gymnastics meet Sunday so I'm not sure if I'll make it or not. Still working on it.

If not we'll hook up soon.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.