Paleo Trivia

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

Hi all,

Back from an extended trip and reaaeaeaeaddddyyyyyy to ruuuuuuuuuuuumble.

One LAND site in the Western Hemisphere has produced four species of prehistoric elephant fossils. For a complete "Attaboy" I'll need the site AND the four species.

Ready, set, Google!

Guest Smilodon

So I assume mastodons and gomphotheres don't count, since they are not elephants?

Nick

The parvorder Hefalumpidea includes anything with a trunk and tusks that walked on land. You, however, may assume anything you want.

Edited by Smilodon

Hi all,

Back from an extended trip and reaaeaeaeaddddyyyyyy to ruuuuuuuuuuuumble.

One LAND site in the Western Hemisphere has produced four species of prehistoric elephant fossils. For a complete "Attaboy" I'll need the site AND the four species.

Ready, set, Google!

No fair! I barely know the difference between a mammoth and Dumbo! And those weird aliens in Footfall!

The parvorder Hefalumpidea includes anything with a trunk and tusks that walked on land. You, however, may assume anything you want.

haha that cracks me up. I honestly had to google that. I'm just giving you a hard time as well.

Guest Smilodon

No fair! I barely know the difference between a mammoth and Dumbo! And those weird aliens in Footfall!

Ron,

There have to be some toughies mixed in with the easies. Ok here is a clue - It's in North America, not Latin or South America. That will practically give it away. Hehehe.

I was thinking M. Primigenius, M. Columbi, Mastodon, and Gomphothere, but can't find a site where they were all found. Off the top of my head, I'd say LaBrea, but I'm not sure M. Primigenius made it that far into the southwestern USA. Maybe some place in Florida or one of the states to the North of Florida?

Guest Smilodon

Hummm! Mastodon, Gomphoterium, Mammuthus and Elephas? Trying to guess!

While there may be land sites around the world with multiple species, I did say Western Hemisphere, and I've now made it easier (hehe) by narrowing it down to North America.

Guest Smilodon

I was thinking M. Primigenius, M. Columbi, Mastodon, and Gomphothere, but can't find a site where they were all found. Off the top of my head, I'd say LaBrea, but I'm not sure M. Primigenius made it that far into the southwestern USA. Maybe some place in Florida or one of the states to the North of Florida?

I do consider M. columbi, jeffersonius, and imperator the same creature for all intents and purposes (and Archidiskodon isn't valid)

Didn't all elephants that came to North America come via one route?

I was thinking Nebraska, but now I am also thinking Alaska just from what you said.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest Smilodon

I was thinking Nebraska, but now I am also thinking Alaska just from what you said.

GOTCHA!

Sorry it was you Phoenix, but I was hoping someone would guess Alaska. Merely a diversion. Nebraska is a great guess - but nope too

OK more help. The site is either in Canada, California, Texas, Florida, South Carolina, Ohio, or Puerto Rico.

You will only get very small partial credit for the state, at most an "at...." It's the beginning of the school year and I'm being tough. Site AND critters for full credit.

GOTCHA!

Sorry it was you Phoenix, but I was hoping someone would guess Alaska. Merely a diversion. Nebraska is a great guess - but nope too

OK more help. The site is either in Canada, California, Texas, Florida, South Carolina, Ohio, or Puerto Rico.

You will only get very small partial credit for the state, at most an "at...." It's the beginning of the school year and I'm being tough. Site AND critters for full credit.

That's perfectly fine :) Are there any fossils in Alaska though or should I just be looking for gold? :D

I know that there are Mammoths, mastodons and gomps in Fl. But there are also gomps and mammoths in TX.

Also, from personal experience gomps in NC :)

I want to say :wacko: no clue :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I'm stumped on this one even after a ton of Google. I'm saying South Carolina because that's where all four of the above species (M primigenius, M. columbi, Mammut americanum, and gomphothere) seemed to have been in one place at one time. As far as the site, no clue. Actually, I could see Canada and Ohio working, too. Ah, snarge. You're really good at picking your questions.

Guest Smilodon

I'm stumped on this one even after a ton of Google. I'm saying South Carolina because that's where all four of the above species (M primigenius, M. columbi, Mammut americanum, and gomphothere) seemed to have been in one place at one time. As far as the site, no clue. Actually, I could see Canada and Ohio working, too. Ah, snarge. You're really good at picking your questions.

Ready, this will blow your mind. M. primigenius is not one of the four. BAM!

I'll say Puerto Rico. ALWAYS bet on the underdog. When you tell me I'm correct, I'll reply with not only the scientific names, but what the early humans called them as well (in the native tongue, of course!)

Guest Smilodon

Folks, I'm going to award the first "Attaboy for Effort" to 32fordboy who apparently reached the end of the Interwebz in his effort to answer the paleo trivia question only to have his head asplode.

Puerto Rico??? I was joking and I hope you guys were too.

Drumroll, please...

Leisey Shell Pit south of Tampa, Florida

Cuvieronius tropicus - gomphothere

Mammut americanum - American mastodon

Mammuthus columbi - Columbian mammoth

and,

And,

AND,

Mammuthus mysteryiensis - the earliest mammoth to reach North America

Gomps and mastodons reached North America during the earliest Miocene some 24 million years ago. Mammoths reached North America during the earliest Pleistocene, some 1.9 mya and boy did they spread out fast, because they reached Tampa, Florida by 1.7 million years ago (the age of the Leisey Shell Pit fossils (early Irvingtonian.) This mammoth is generally considered to be Mammuthus meridionalis although for a while it was considered by some to be Mammuthus hayi although things still seem to be up in the air.

There is so much more to the story, but that's the executive summary. Thanks for playing and WTG 32fordboy.

Edited by Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

No wonder we couldn't figure it out-it was such a mysteryiensis to us. You do an excellent job with your questions.

Thanks, 32fordboy, I work hard for my pay here. B)

Edited by Smilodon