Wild Fluorite!

Frank Menser

This one came from China and measures about eight inches. It is a xl mass composed of large (2.5") cubes. What makes this cool is (as you can see) the cleavage planes stand out so boldly it is hard to see the shapes of the xls.

post-1313-12543285183116_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Thanks!

Needless to say it was extremely difficult to photograph as its pretty translucent as well.

Pretty wild looking; almost like it's been shocked.

How is it under UV?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice specimen. You can see a more typical American (Illinois) specimen HERE

Edit: See the Illinois flourite here: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=4733

Edited by Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Very nice specimen. You can see a more typical American (Illinois) specimen HERE

It may be my computer, not sure but that link does not open for me...

Welcome to the forum!

Pretty wild looking; almost like it's been shocked.

How is it under UV?

Under UV it goes various intensities of light blue. Looking at this pic again, it really doesn't do this piece justice. It really looks plaid.

Harry, I couldn't get the link to work.

Fluorite is my wife's passion, so we collect from all over and whatever colors we can find. We also have some nice small Yellow Octs, oranges and some botroidal reds.

post-1313-12543999296115_thumb.jpg

post-1313-12543999689074_thumb.jpg

That's beautiful, Harry but what caught my eye is the ocean jasper..it's stunning.

Would those round items be fossils? Not sure what those are..

Welcome to the forum!

That's beautiful, Harry but what caught my eye is the ocean jasper..it's stunning.

Would those round items be fossils? Not sure what those are..

Ocean jasper is a trade name for a variety of "orbicular" jasper. Orbicular jasper is characterized by the "eyes" or "targets" or circles when cut and polished. I think the genesis of the jasper would not allow for fossil traces, but I can't say for certain.

Here's what Wikipedia says:

"Orbicular jasper is a variety of jasper which contains variably-colored orbs or spherical inclusions or zones. In highly silicified rhyolite or tuff, quartz and feldspar crystallize in radial aggregates of needle-like crystals which provide the basis or seed for the orbicular structure seen in this kind of jasper[1]. The material is quite attractive when polished and is used as an ornamental stone or gemstone.

"Various local or commercial names have been used for the material, such as kinradite, oregonite, owyhee jasper, ocean jasper and poppy-patterned jasper, depending on the source. Poppy-patterned jasper or Poppy jasper is the varietal name for material from Morgan Hill, Santa Clara County, California. The trade name ocean jasper is used for a variety found along the intertidal shores of northeast Madagascar. In Nebraska orbicular jasper is found in altered rhyolite beds noted for a variety of jaspers and related agates."

What seest thou else

WOW nice florite i wish i could fined some minerals like that all we have here is crappy calcite and quartz. But i did find a rock with a bunch of garnets in it. Which i was told had to have been pushed by the glaciers in the last ice age b/c we dont have garnet in this area!

WOW nice florite i wish i could fined some minerals like that all we have here is crappy calcite and quartz. But i did find a rock with a bunch of garnets in it. Which i was told had to have been pushed by the glaciers in the last ice age b/c we dont have garnet in this area!

:D Garnet shows up where Garnet shows up. I have two limestone rocks I found in the GMR that contain growths of tiny Garnet xls - which are not supposed to occur here so likely travelled a fair distance in the Tar River to get to me.

:D Garnet shows up where Garnet shows up. I have two limestone rocks I found in the GMR that contain growths of tiny Garnet xls - which are not supposed to occur here so likely travelled a fair distance in the Tar River to get to me.

Here are some garnets that turned up in a windowless, single-lightbulb shop in Erfoud, Morocco.

post-42-12545291106676_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

Very cool Harry! Garnets are another thing I collect as they are my birthstone. :D

This one came from China and measures about eight inches. It is a xl mass composed of large (2.5") cubes. What makes this cool is (as you can see) the cleavage planes stand out so boldly it is hard to see the shapes of the xls.

post-1313-12543285183116_thumb.jpg

Nice the only Fluorite I have ever found was about 4 inches long they were calling it watermelon because of the green and red color

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein