Sabers

ashcraft

I heard on a TV show recently that sabers had evolved in mammals on four occasions, I am aware of 3, Nimravids (cat-like, now extinct), Thylacosmilus (marsupial), and the "saber tooth tigers", in modern cats. What is the fourth?

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Guest Smilodon

I heard on a TV show recently that sabers had evolved in mammals on four occasions, I am aware of 3, Nimravids (cat-like, now extinct), Thylacosmilus (marsupial), and the "saber tooth tigers", in modern cats. What is the fourth?

Brent Ashcraft

Creodonts, I believe.

Remember, the North American sabercats were not tigers or closely related to them.

Creodonts, I believe.

Remember, the North American sabercats were not tigers or closely related to them.

Thanks, I hadn't considered the creodonts, as everything I have read about them refers to how primitive they were anatomically. But upon googeling creodont-saber, it appears that the hyaenodont (sp?) variety was indeed saber positive. As for the plant eaters with long teeth, some are still living (muntjac?), and even whitetails have an occasional genetic backstroke where the "fangs" reappear.

If they are large enough, would they be considered sabers? Or is meat consumption part of the defitnition?

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Guest Smilodon

Thanks, I hadn't considered the creodonts, as everything I have read about them refers to how primitive they were anatomically. But upon googeling creodont-saber, it appears that the hyaenodont (sp?) variety was indeed saber positive. As for the plant eaters with long teeth, some are still living (muntjac?), and even whitetails have an occasional genetic backstroke where the "fangs" reappear.

If they are large enough, would they be considered sabers? Or is meat consumption part of the defitnition?

Brent Ashcraft

Brent,

I'm no academician, but sabertoothed animals are commonly thought of as the carnivores (cat-like critters) with enlarged, flattened upper canines probably used in killing or eating prey. Although there are none alive today, the clouded leopard seems to be on it's way to becoming a "sabercat" although its elongated canines are conical rather than flattened.

Herbivores with "sabers" either use them for show and maybe male competition. Herbivores such as Uintatheres, Giant Beavers, and even the living Hippopotamus had/have fearsome canines but they are not generally regarded as "saber-toothed." Then there is also Enchodus, the saber-toothed salmon.

Living Hippo

post-2027-12544178649286_thumb.jpg

Edited by Smilodon

Brent Ashcraft

Machaeroides maby?

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein