Oldmadandthesea

• New Members

Hi! Amateur hour here! I know nothing, but I love attempting to locate and identify marine fossils, especially in places far away from any body of salt water. 

I made a trip to New Mexico this past week and found some awesome fossils! Driving east on I-40 from Santa Fe, I stopped in Santa Rosa. Southeast of the city, there is Highway 156, and there are some great pull-offs a couple miles from the Interstate. I attached a picture of the fossil site guide I was using and a couple pictures of the fossils I was hoping to identify. The fossils were on the ground, no digging was done. No water nearby. The closest identifiable large rock seemed to be limestone (I think), but this was found amongst a ton of rock litter of different types. 

Santa Rosa is a city in and the county seat of Guadalupe County, New Mexico, United States. It lies between Albuquerque and Tucumcari, situated on the Pecos River at the intersection of Interstate 40, U.S. Route 54, and U.S. Route 84. Elevation is 4,616ft.

Fossil #1

20190310_111023.jpg

20190310_111143.jpg

20190310_111314.jpg

Edited by Oldmadandthesea
Adding photos

If you could post them here, that would be great. :)

The problem with third-party applications is that sometimes they go out of business, and render the archival value of the posts here moot. Also, some members would prefer not to navigate to sites like these for privacy reasons.  

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• New Members

Hi! I made one other post, but just to reiterate, amateur hour here! I know nothing, but I love attempting to locate and identify marine fossils, especially in places far away from any body of salt water. 

I made a trip to New Mexico this past week and found some awesome fossils! Driving east on I-40 from Santa Fe, I stopped in Santa Rosa. Southeast of the city, there is Highway 156, and there are some great pull-offs a couple miles from the Interstate. I attached a picture of the fossil site guide I was using and a couple pictures of the fossils I was hoping to identify. The fossils were on the ground, no digging was done. No water nearby. The closest identifiable large rock seemed to be limestone (I think), but this was found amongst a ton of rock litter of different types. 

Santa Rosa is a city in and the county seat of Guadalupe County, New Mexico, United States. It lies between Albuquerque and Tucumcari, situated on the Pecos River at the intersection of Interstate 40, U.S. Route 54, and U.S. Route 84. Elevation is 4,616ft.

Fossil #2

20190310_114403.jpg

20190310_113958.jpg

20190310_114240.jpg

Edited by Oldmadandthesea
Adding photos

Merged the topics for now. As stated above, please post pictures directly here. Thanks. :) 

• New Members
2 minutes ago, Kane said:

Merged the topics for now. As stated above, please post pictures directly here. Thanks. :) 

It would only let me post 3.95mB of pictures, this was the only way I could post multiple detailed photos. 

You can post an image, and then reply to the same thread to post another. If your individual images are over 3.95 mb, you can resize them with whatever photo editing software you have on your computer/device, an online photo resizer, or emailing them to yourself to shrink the image down.

I'll repeat what Kane said, please post your photos directly to the Forum.  We have had a lot of trouble with third party sites, they tend to shut down or delete photos after a while, and that leaves us with useless threads.  The point of tagging threads is so that readers years from now can search the Forum and find informative threads.

Your fossil is a nice example of a rugosan coral.  I'll have to look up the local geology to get an idea of the possible age.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

• New Members
12 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'll repeat what Kane said, please post your photos directly to the Forum.  We have had a lot of trouble with third party sites, they tend to shut down or delete photos after a while, and that leaves us with useless threads.  The point of tagging threads is so that readers years from now can search the Forum and find informative threads.

Your fossil is a nice example of a rugosan coral.  I'll have to look up the local geology to get an idea of the possible age.

Don

I figured it out! Thanks for the info. Can only add 3 pictures instead of 6, so hopefully there is enough detail. 

• New Members
18 minutes ago, Kane said:

Anyway we could un-merge the topics now? 

I think the specimens nicely fit together in this topic. :)
You have good pictures with a nice comparative scale in the second one.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

If you know exactly where it was found, that could be useful.  I know that the Santa Rosa area has formations from at least the Permian through the Paleocene.

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

Worn coral maybe @TqB

Definitely, solitary rugose as Don @FossilDAWG says. Anyone tracked down the age yet? - must be Palaeozoic of course.

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

Both specimens seem to be in cobbles, which means they could have been transported some distance.  Upper and lower Carboniferous (Mississippian and Pennsylvanian) are exposed in the area and in the mountains to the north and west, and both ages produce corals.  Permian may also be present, but I don't think it is marine that far north, and at any rate I am not familiar with Permian corals being described from that part of the state.

Don