Cetacean Tiphyocetus temblorensis (?) ulna.

MrR

After posting ID questions on a couple of STH whale bones that were mostly unidentifiable, I decided I'd post images of the one whale fossil I have that seems like a slam dunk ulna (Aside from an easily ID'd ear bone.). It may be debatable as to which specific family category, but at least its location on the whale is pretty certain, right? Too bad it's a partial, but it's all I have. It looks a lot like one that is called Tiphyocetus temblorensis in an image from the California Academy of Sciences. Tiphyocetus Temblorensis Even the mottled coloring is similar.

As I mentioned, this specimen is from Bakersfield, Shark Tooth Hill area specifically. While people may have seen a fair number of these, I thought it was cool enough to post an image or two of. And, people will be happy to know, I don't entertain any thoughts of its being part of a whale jaw. In fact, I'm over-jawed about having this one. Cheers.  ;)

DSC06472.JPG

DSC06475.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 year later...

You know, in the absence of a comment from Bobby, I was ready to burst your bubble while digging out the publication in which T. temblorensis was described (Kellogg, 1931) but your specimen is about the right size and shape.  I think you have a winner.   It's funny that one of the type specimens is also a proximal end of an ulna.  In fact the image from Flikr must be that specimen.  I believe that piece and everything else fossilized has been moved to the museum at UC Berkeley.

Jess

Kellogg. R., 1931.

Pelagic mammals of the Temblor Formation of the Kern River region, California.  Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. 19(12):217-397.

• I found this Informative 2