Tricky Id On A Pathological Tooth

THobern

This is a tricky one to place past the genus. Right now I've got this tooth displayed as a Carcharocles sp., but was wondering if anyone else could make a more educated guess. It could be an angustidens tooth, as it has a raised root and a possible side cusp. It's from a Virginian river that hasn't turn up any auriculatus teeth, to the best of my knowledge. Any ideas?

post-1261-12549671976792_thumb.jpg

post-1261-12549672093939_thumb.jpg

post-1261-12549672192621_thumb.jpg

post-1261-12549672285405_thumb.jpg

post-1261-12549672392829_thumb.jpg

post-1261-12549672476896_thumb.jpg

post-1261-12549672616063_thumb.jpg

post-1261-12549672702918_thumb.jpg

i think it's a meg tooth...but WOW!! its the most deformed (retarded) tooth i have ever seen!

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

well, of course it's a meg; what else is that large? you know, i've told you time and time again not to leave those on the dashboard of your car during the summer with the windows rolled up!

just kidding - um, i vote that you call it whatever you want, and i'll just refer to it amongst my friends as "funkitated". p.s. - "meg" is easier to spell and say than "angustidens"

HOLY COW!!!!! Well, the ID is of course MINE hahahaMMMHAHAHAHA. Ah, ok, but :money: :startle:

I think it's a really big, really messed up P. benedeni!!! :bow:

I can't see any serrations so I would rule out meg or GW. It's that THICK root that gets me thinking it's P. benedeni.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

i was thinking benedeni too but i saw serrations on the tip

Edited by edd

That cusp coming out of the blade also looks to be serrated. I guess you've done all the research and if the site produces both megs and angies, you'd be hard pressed to argue against either species with a tooth that messed up. Butt-ugly, yet beautiful at the same time

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

That cusp coming out of the blade also looks to be serrated. I guess you've done all the research and if the site produces both megs and angies, you'd be hard pressed to argue against either species with a tooth that messed up. Butt-ugly, yet beautiful at the same time

Ah man, I see them now :( Oh well, probably is a meg, but a nice path!!! :D Sorry if I got your hopes up :)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

HOLY COW!!!!! Well, the ID is of course MINE hahahaMMMHAHAHAHA. Ah, ok, but :money: :startle:

I think it's a really big, really messed up P. benedeni!!! :bow:

I can't see any serrations so I would rule out meg or GW. It's that THICK root that gets me thinking it's P. benedeni.

Exactly what I was thinking, phoenixflood. No serrations, gigantic root = less pathologic as a Parotodus then it would be as a Carcharocles.

It's definitely not a P. benidini tooth. I wish that I had a 3 1/2" benidini tooth, but the serrations on the second blade suggest otherwise. Furthermore, there are 5 individual rows of serrations, about 1cm long each, which meet at the tip. There are also 5 shallow, parallel grooves, on the blade, suggesting that it had been bitten by a serrated tooth. It's the second blade that throws me; is it a side-cusp or a second blade? I admit that the smooth blade makes it look like a false mako, though.

Edited by THobern

Guest Smilodon

This is a tricky one to place past the genus. Right now I've got this tooth displayed as a Carcharocles sp., but was wondering if anyone else could make a more educated guess. It could be an angustidens tooth, as it has a raised root and a possible side cusp. It's from a Virginian river that hasn't turn up any auriculatus teeth, to the best of my knowledge. Any ideas?

Wondering if its parents ever heard of orthodontia? Funkitated and funkilicious at the same time! :D

I dont think the tooth has a natural cusp it's just badly deformed, it looks like the whole tooth is twisted.

Edited by edd

Too, too gnarly!

That crosswise serrated ridge running crosswise on the blade face looks...painful.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Too, too gnarly!

That crosswise serrated ridge running crosswise on the blade face looks...painful.

That tooth is a Meg hands down, but you can not rule out possible that it might have been a Angustiden early stages of the Meg before they lost the cusp's. nice tooth want to trade? lol

That is a cool tooth. One that weird reminds me of a tooth that Vito Bertucci once showed me at Tucson (years ago, of course - purchased it from Mark P. who got it from Dominique M., I think). As you can see it's mostly identifiable as a megalodon but for some reason the crown didn't develop into a blade-shape. It developed multiple short prongs of crown instead. After Vito's passing, his girlfriend started selling his collection on Ebay. When this tooth was up for auction, I saved the photos, but didn't win it. It was damaged in the middle and at one edge at least when he bought it and he said he was going to have it restored. I advised against it but I see that he did because it now has no apparent damage.

post-1482-12552213314535_thumb.jpgpost-1482-12552213592486_thumb.jpgpost-1482-12552213892544_thumb.jpg

Carcharocles megalodon

Early Pliocene

Pisco Formation

Sacaco, Peru

I had a tooth with the same pathology from the red site in NC. However, it was very water worn, and not in a comparable condition. I'll see if I can dig out some photos.

That is a cool tooth. One that weird reminds me of a tooth that Vito Bertucci once showed me at Tucson (years ago, of course - purchased it from Mark P. who got it from Dominique M., I think). As you can see it's mostly identifiable as a megalodon but for some reason the crown didn't develop into a blade-shape. It developed multiple short prongs of crown instead. After Vito's passing, his girlfriend started selling his collection on Ebay. When this tooth was up for auction, I saved the photos, but didn't win it. It was damaged in the middle and at one edge at least when he bought it and he said he was going to have it restored. I advised against it but I see that he did because it now has no apparent damage.

post-1482-12552213314535_thumb.jpgpost-1482-12552213592486_thumb.jpgpost-1482-12552213892544_thumb.jpg

Carcharocles megalodon

Early Pliocene

Pisco Formation

Sacaco, Peru

When Vito's shark tooth collection was being sold, I knew a collector who keep pics and prices of all the teeth sold on ebay. A copy provided to me shows this particular tooth sold for $2125!

When Vito's shark tooth collection was being sold, I knew a collector who keep pics and prices of all the teeth sold on ebay. A copy provided to me shows this particular tooth sold for $2125!

woah, kinda gives a bit of value perspective on the tooth for this topic.

This cost me 170 and is unrepaired. It was, however, covered in the gunk that only VA rivers seems to be able to produce. I had to carefully prep the bourlette and second blade out from the encrusted muck, then several hours of tedious cleaning with baking soda and a brush.