How To Tell Fakes?

FF7_Yuffie

my assumption is that many people couldn't tell a really good fake at all. even holding it in their hand. again, think in terms of things you've read about. faked masters of oil paintings worth millions of dollars, etc. some people can put a mint mark on a rare penny that won't be caught by many people using a loupe. the best crooks are successful most of the time.

but i assume the best crooks don't just leave cool faked fossils on the ground for me to find, because that wouldn't make sense. so all my stuff is probably real.

So does that mean it can be hard to tell a good fake just from the photo?

Yes, it can be very difficult to tell just looking at a photo. However, good dealers, like Lowell, will usually have nice large photos showing incredible detail. This obviously helps a great deal. I never buy the lines like, "My camera isn't very good," "I just got this thing yesterday and haven't figured it out yet." If any part of the photo is out of focus or obscured I would ask for better photos or walk away.

my assumption is that many people couldn't tell a really good fake at all. even holding it in their hand. again, think in terms of things you've read about. faked masters of oil paintings worth millions of dollars, etc. some people can put a mint mark on a rare penny that won't be caught by many people using a loupe. the best crooks are successful most of the time.

but i assume the best crooks don't just leave cool faked fossils on the ground for me to find, because that wouldn't make sense. so all my stuff is probably real.

I agree 100% but I also think that some things are harder to fake than others. For example, I think trilos are easier to fake than others like bone of smaller critters (keich/sino's). It just looks much different to me. Of course, to a newcomer it would be hard to tell. But I als don't think it would be impossible to fool me either, so I am very cautious nowadays.

I agree 100% but I also think that some things are harder to fake than others. For example, I think trilos are easier to fake than others like bone of smaller critters (keich/sino's). It just looks much different to me. Of course, to a newcomer it would be hard to tell. But I als don't think it would be impossible to fool me either, so I am very cautious nowadays.

almost all of the keichos that you see out there are mostly fake. The giveaway -- the spinal column is a long raised line with verts painted on. A real vert column is a series of tiny spindles put together. Also, most skulls are a simple teardrop shape with no detail. Caveat emptor!

almost all of the keichos that you see out there are mostly fake. The giveaway -- the spinal column is a long raised line with verts painted on. A real vert column is a series of tiny spindles put together. Also, most skulls are a simple teardrop shape with no detail. Caveat emptor!

I agree with almost everything you said. There are many fakes out there, however, I think they are easier to spot than fakes of other fossils. Also, the skull appears that way usually with a ventral presentation. If a keich would have a dorsal presentation you can see other detail including teeth in some cases.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I don't remember if I saw the teeth on a keich or a hyphalosaurus.

Edited by PaleoPutz

Yeah, that is the very type of Chinese lizard 'fossil' I meant earlier. I would bet dollars to donuts that one is plastic - especially since it is about $900 less than the other one I saw that was for sure plastic.

there have been both fake ten- and twenty-dollar bills, and fake phacops.
Agreed, but the "point of diminishing marginal returns" is a limiter on that. The most common counterfeits are those 50's and 100's as there is much more profit for the very same risk factor. We see a lot of bad paper here in the metro Detroit area these days, no doubt due to the current bad economy. I have done some work for our treasury department along the lines of preventing counterfeiting of state documents with holographic artworks. You think buying a fake trilobite is a bummer, hows about a fake $10k US state bearer bond?

As for the phacops....uh, I cast those up myself (the Moroccan drotops megalomanicus) and sell them for a bit more than the actual fossil would cost. The ones I make are more for creative decor use and expression though, and not meant to simulate an actual piece. I haven't yet seen one of those bottom - end pieces faked other than that, though I have seen lots of hobbyist - generated casts, usually in Hydrocal (plaster)or cheap plastic. They show up at the shows a lot, but are sold as what they are, that I have seen, at least in my experience. (like all of those prepositions in a row?)

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

post-1313-12551213632419_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of Kiechs I picked up in the early 1990's that are (to the best of my knowledge) real. No painted on limbs. (note the spine - as mentioned above).

The smaller one (below) measures less than two inches but you can even see (with a loup) the toe bones.

post-1313-12551210537762_thumb.jpg

Here is a real (totally pristine - except for the repaired cracks in the neck and tail) Mesosaur. Even the teeth are present.

post-1313-12551211158046_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

post-1313-12551213632419_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of Kiechs I picked up in the early 1990's that are (to the best of my knowledge) real. No painted on limbs. (note the spine - as mentioned above).

The smaller one (below) measures less than two inches but you can even see (with a loup) the toe bones.

post-1313-12551210537762_thumb.jpg

Here is a real (totally pristine - except for the repaired cracks in the neck and tail) Mesosaur. Even the teeth are present.

post-1313-12551211158046_thumb.jpg

those are really nice, Frank! Haven't seen any for sale like those for a loooong time.

I see what you mean about the holes. Do those little tiny holes in the actual skeleton show up on most fakes then or is that just a bad fake where the holes are pretty obvious?

I came across this website whilst looking for more help on spotting fakes that I found to be pretty useful. I'll post the link in case anyone else in interested in having a read of it.

http://www.paleodirect.com/fakefossils1.htm

post-1313-12552920015309_thumb.jpg

Sinos occur in a rather fragile ashy shale. I did the prep on this specimen, so I know it to be real. Still, before it got to me it was renforced with concrete-clearly visible. The shine is from a preservative I used (like I said, "Fragile")

I see what you mean about the holes. Do those little tiny holes in the actual skeleton show up on most fakes then or is that just a bad fake where the holes are pretty obvious?

I came across this website whilst looking for more help on spotting fakes that I found to be pretty useful. I'll post the link in case anyone else in interested in having a read of it.

http://www.paleodirect.com/fakefossils1.htm

Tiny holes are typical on normal fakes. You can find these tiny holes are also in matrix near trilobite. Nowdays they make much better fakes in Morocco. These fakes have no for example tiny holes and it is sometimes hard to tell what is fake and what is only bad preparation. :(

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

I decided to show and tell on this commonly faked Moroccan trilobite. First, the top section, which is the actual fake part...of course.

gallery_2209_563_128098.jpg

The bottom, which is real stone. Note the chisel marks and compare them to the ones in the first shot.

gallery_2209_563_85961.jpg

Here is the join between the fake top and the stone bottom.

gallery_2209_563_177360.jpg

Edited by Bear

Here is the clincher.....a bit of nail polish remover and a Q - Tip reveal the fossil to be painted on the cast base material that put its form on the rock. There are air holes throughout the cast part, though the ones on the actual fossil simulation have been filled. I bought this quite a few years back, they are much better than this now. This one has fooled many folks after it first fooled me, I keep it as an example of what to look for in a a fake.

gallery_2209_563_179464.jpg

the problem remains that the fakes studied are not exceptionally good ones, but there are exceptionally good ones.

post-1313-12555491667407_thumb.jpg

You've seen the fake. Here is the real thing (I know this because I did the prep work on this one). However, Some parts of this specimen was a lighter gray than most when exposed so black stain was used there to improve contrast.

post-1313-12555494452385_thumb.jpg

On the other hand this one is very likely a fake-I bought this because it's such a nice replica of the species-which is rare. Note how it is just "too Perfect".

post-1313-12555496833355_thumb.jpgpost-1313-12555497099556_thumb.jpgpost-1313-12555497426291_thumb.jpg

All of these are real. Note on the large multiple piece that it has ben glued back together. Real Trilos are often repaired because the limestone they are in is not layered and so has to be cracked open to reveal the bug. It is then glued and then 'cleaned' down to the bug.

You've seen the fake. Here is the real thing (I know this because I did the prep work on this one). However, Some parts of this specimen was a lighter gray than most when exposed so black stain was used there to improve contrast.

On the other hand this one is very likely a fake-I bought this because it's such a nice replica of the species-which is rare. Note how it is just "too Perfect".

post-1313-12555496833355_thumb.jpgpost-1313-12555497099556_thumb.jpgpost-1313-12555497426291_thumb.jpg

All of these are real. Note on the large multiple piece that it has ben glued back together. Real Trilos are often repaired because the limestone they are in is not layered and so has to be cracked open to reveal the bug. It is then glued and then 'cleaned' down to the bug.

Frank: You have nice trilos. That Acanthopyge is a "classical" fake. It is extremely rare species and for that reason prices are really high ($1500-9000) for real one. I also would like to buy replica of Acanthopyge but I won't pay more than $50 for that plactic bug.

-Sir David Attenborough

Here is a small part of my friends moroccan trilobite collection. Everything you see is a real. :)

post-1446-12555537357907_thumb.jpg

post-1446-12555537522661_thumb.jpg

post-1446-12555537792391_thumb.jpg

post-1446-12555537936796_thumb.jpg

-Sir David Attenborough

I also am most impressed by both the quantity and the quality. Very nice collection indeed.

I have those bugs too, Frank. :) Of course the one is a fake, as we all know...and a not very good one either, I must add. What can I say? I was younger and less experienced then, now I am older and less experienced..... :blink:

A real good dupe is OK as long as you know that is what it is. Otherwise...well we all know about that too. I am sure that I am not the only one present who has scorch marks in their pockets from the spontaneous combustion of large quantities of cash invested in a 'painted lady' specimen. (Its OK if I am though. ;) )

Very nice stuff... I would love to have that multiple. I agree with your comment about them being glued back together after they are found. I have wondered why some of the breaks are repaired so much better than others? On your specimen you can see the cracks quite clearly. However, on others you have an extremely hard time finding them. Is it just luck? The type of matrix? Skill? Again, nice stuff...

I think I'm gonna steer away from Trilobites for the time being, the expensive ones at least since to be honest I can't tell much difference between the real and the fakes. Hopefully with time and experiance and stuff I'll soon get to grips with them.

They do look pretty awesome though :)

Edited by FF7_Yuffie

"I am sure that I am not the only one present who has scorch marks in their pockets from the spontaneous combustion of large quantities of cash invested in a 'painted lady' specimen."

No, no you are not :mellow: