How To Tell Fakes?

FF7_Yuffie

I think I'm gonna steer away from Trilobites for the time being, the expensive ones at least since to be honest I can't tell much difference between the real and the fakes. Hopefully with time and experiance and stuff I'll soon get to grips with them.

They do look pretty awesome though :)

You can buy US and canadian trilobites. There are no fake US trilos and there is lot of trilos in USA. :)

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

Also, I read a document showing how and why Oklahoma trilobites are so similar to Moroccan trilobites-because back in the day the two locations were right by each other. Personally, I think Oklahoma trilos are far more beautiful than Moroccan counterparts of equal quality.

Nick

Here's the source: www.trilobites.info

Edited by 32fordboy

Also, I read a document showing how and why Oklahoma trilobites are so similar to Moroccan trilobites-because back in the day the two locations were right by each other. Personally, I think Oklahoma trilos are far more beautiful than Moroccan counterparts of equal quality.

Nick

Here's the source: www.trilobites.info

Here is a link about Nick's paleogeography.

http://www.trilobites.info/trilopaleogeo.htm

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

Oh wow! Doc Sam's still got a site up out there! Oh that is too cool, thanks for the link. :D

He goes back to the old CA Fossil Forum I used to participate in back in the day, knows one heck of a lot about the bugs too.

You can buy US and canadian trilobites. There are no fake US trilos and there is lot of trilos in USA. :)

And there are good deals to be had as well. I recently bought around 15 Oklahoma trilobites with some imperfections for about 25 bucks total.

And there are good deals to be had as well. I recently bought around 15 Oklahoma trilobites with some imperfections for about 25 bucks total.

how much did they charge for the imperfections?

how much did they charge for the imperfections?

11 cents.. But they threw in the matrix for free. I thought that was a pretty good deal considering how old that matrix is.

Those Delta, Utah quarry elrathia kingii exuvia are pretty cheap as well. They come with or without the matrix at no extra charge.....

Like these I found out there a while back....

gallery_2209_563_27502.jpg

..and with the matrix

gallery_2209_563_26247.jpg

Edited by Bear

Another option for obtaining real but cheap trilobites are these Moroccan phacops. I see them at most shows for a dollar or 2. Most are of low quality, but some are pretty well preserved and none are expensive.

gallery_2209_563_41490.jpg

The made in China sticker on the back is a dead givaway! :P JK...JK :D

I could say something, but I will just think about

some one like Currie and have another beer