Reptile Tooth?

jax

I found the bigger of these two about 2 years ago, and the smaller today. They are the SAME tooth, one being 1/4 smaller. I have had some people ID the larger one as Mosasaur, so thats what I have always called it. I would like to see what everyone else thinks. Found in the Eagle Ford formation, Arcadia Park.

post-221-12550503274678_thumb.jpg

post-221-12550503602562_thumb.jpg

they sure look like a Mosasaurs teeth...

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

They do look like crocodilian to me

I could not really tell if there were small ridges

on the length the teeth.

Croc if there is ridges

Mosasaur if just ovail

And I'll have a BUD Light

Guest Smilodon

My 2 cents FWIW, I am unaware of any species of mosasaur with teeth that have narrow vertical striations like those. Facets yes but vertical striations,?. Crocodile teeth do. Any true mosafreaks out there?

To be clear, the teeth are smooth. It just looks like they have ridges. The color are the non-eroded sides is great!

Also, i have never heard of Croc teeth being found in eagle ford, but anything is possible.

• I found this Informative 1

Justin, I know we've had the Eagle Ford / Mosasaur discussion before. Did you ever get the chance to show the pic to someone at SMU? And dude, unless you're a master of shadow and light - there are some slight ridges on part of the teeth in these pics. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The teeth look just like my mosasaur teeth.Mine have the pronounced ridges along with the striations running vertically.

post-417-12550599274719_thumb.jpgpost-417-12550599398795_thumb.jpgpost-417-1255059958196_thumb.jpgpost-417-12550599693188_thumb.jpg

Guest Smilodon

I think that I stand corrected, I took a hike into the inner sanctum of the Miller's Fossils Mosasaur collection (well, I went downstairs) and son of a gun, upon close visual inspection, the Mosasaur teeth I have from Texas, North Carolina, and Maryland all have similar vertical thingamajiggies as the teeth in question above. So I am now officially agnostic on the issue, but leaning towards the Meuse Lizard, and I shall leave this up to those more expert on this subject than I.

You may have found some Russellosaurus (a very early mosasaur) teeth. The size, character, and formation are similar to those described HERE. Like I've said before, you may be hunting at a significant location. :)

Be prepared...in case we see you on the Dallas news. ;)

You may have found some Russellosaurus (a very early mosasaur) teeth. The size, character, and formation are similar to those described HERE. Like I've said before, you may be hunting at a significant location. :)

Be prepared...in case we see you on the Dallas news. ;)

Too funny,that's what I told him via phone that it might be.........Great minds think alike :D

Justin, I know we've had the Eagle Ford / Mosasaur discussion before. Did you ever get the chance to show the pic to someone at SMU? And dude, unless you're a master of shadow and light - there are some slight ridges on part of the teeth in these pics. :D

You may have found some Russellosaurus (a very early mosasaur) teeth. The size, character, and formation are similar to those described HERE. Like I've said before, you may be hunting at a significant location.

Be prepared...in case we see you on the Dallas news.

Yes, i am a Master, No I havent had a chance to get to SMU. What is the best way of getting in touch with someone there to meet up? I wouldnt know where to start. I guess i'll have to hit their web site and look for the paleo dept.

Thanks for the ID, Barry did call me and tell me thats what he thought they were. Any time you wanna come hunt my "honey hole" i'll take ya, but the trade is that I get to ride in the boat one time on an adventure of yours ;)

AND, someone call the news!!! I'll take a shower and shave if they want to talk to me :D;) , but im not giving up my spot!!

OH, almost forgot, with the talk of small mosasaur's in the eagle ford, I have in my collection, a large piece of a Mosasaur tooth. Its the top half, missing the tip, and that piece is just about an inch long, and about as round a nickle or so. Still in matrix, cause I split it when I found it.... :(

I also have some other "reptile" teeth I would like to get ID'd. I guess thats the trip to SMU? Hope they dont try to take my teef! B)

Edited by jax

Yes, i am a Master, No I havent had a chance to get to SMU. What is the best way of getting in touch with someone there to meet up? I wouldnt know where to start. I guess i'll have to hit their web site and look for the paleo dept.

Thanks for the ID, Barry did call me and tell me thats what he thought they were. Any time you wanna come hunt my "honey hole" i'll take ya, but the trade is that I get to ride in the boat one time on an adventure of yours ;)

AND, someone call the news!!! I'll take a shower and shave if they want to talk to me :D;) , but im not giving up my spot!!

OH, almost forgot, with the talk of small mosasaur's in the eagle ford, I have in my collection, a large piece of a Mosasaur tooth. Its the top half, missing the tip, and that piece is just about an inch long, and about as round a nickle or so. Still in matrix, cause I split it when I found it.... :(

I also have some other "reptile" teeth I would like to get ID'd. I guess thats the trip to SMU? Hope they dont try to take my teef! B)

Sounds like you're on the right track, master. I'm sure Mike Polcyn, or someone else is an email away. ;)

Sounds like you're on the right track, master. I'm sure Mike Polcyn, or someone else is an email away. ;)

Here you go Justin,these two guys have gone out of thir way in the past to help me.

mpolcyn@mail.smu.edu

fiorillo@mail.smu.edu

Let me know when you go and I'll take some material of mine they wanted to see.

thanks

I emailed Michael Polcyn, and Tony Fiorillo at SMU, and they both said they were: Plioplatecarpine teeth. I did show them another tooth I had that i found in the Kamp Ranch, and they said Kamp Ranch + Mosasaur = Russellosaurus. They also stated that I should donate them to the museum... Im not a big fan of donating things (because they are usally locked away in a drawer somewhere) BUT I am thinking about donating one tooth. I got the invite to meet them at the Museum after the State Fair ends. Who knows, Maybe i'll find another one by then :D

• I Agree 1

Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plioplatecarpus

Note the known sites; no wonder they would like to have them!

(Not that Wikipedia is the last word on anything...)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I believe the importance would be how early they are. Those early mosasaurs found locally are supposed to have been found just above the Kamp Ranch zone. This is when mosasaurs were still large iguana sized critters (or not much bigger) and not the huge monsters we know and love found later.

So really any mosasaur material in this period is very important.

Whether you want to part with them is your call of course. I'm sure they'd at least want to get photographs and measurements.

Edited by LanceHall

Lance, I do have smaller teeth that look like reptile teeth. I need to dig them out and take some pics. I have no problem taking all my stuff up there and letting them take all the pics and measurements they want. And I might part with one or two of them if they are nice :P .

I emailed Michael Polcyn, and Tony Fiorillo at SMU, and they both said they were: Plioplatecarpine teeth. I did show them another tooth I had that i found in the Kamp Ranch, and they said Kamp Ranch + Mosasaur = Russellosaurus. They also stated that I should donate them to the museum... Im not a big fan of donating things (because they are usally locked away in a drawer somewhere) BUT I am thinking about donating one tooth. I got the invite to meet them at the Museum after the State Fair ends. Who knows, Maybe i'll find another one by then :D

Congrats on your finds. A good "baseline" ID will go a long way with future IDs. I would let them take photos and measurements. Let them know you'll contact them when you find a near complete Russelosaurus. :D

so what ya'll are saying is that i shouldn't have been yanking the teeth from these things and throwing away the jaw/skull parts to make for lighter carrying in the field?

i'm sorry. i just thought that thought and then thought it was a fairly funny thought. of course i've never found such coolnesses, and i like this thread. congrats on the cool finds, jax, and getting them id'd...

now if you can find that pile of plated carpuses and put them back in...

I was reading about the "Russelosaurus" the other day, and they named it after the guy who found the skull back in 1992. So if I was a bit faster finding them, they would have named it after me! So when I find mine, be on the look out for "Jaxosaurus"

Edited by jax