Nsr Bone Id Please

texaswoodie

I've looked at Mos bones until I'm cross-eyed and cannot ID this bone. Maybe someone with a clue has a clue.

E2069.jpg

E2071.jpg

Looks like a shark gave it a love tap

E2070.jpg

Then there is this jaw looking thingy. Is that a couple of tiny teeth I'm seeing?

E2073.jpg

E2072.jpg

And my question is: The marine animals at NSR are about 65 MYO more or less. But there are also mammal remains to be found. What is the age of the mammals?

Thanks for any input!

Those are cool. Wish I could help more. Those are teeth on the jaw looking thingy. I would guess reptilian (although I might be wrong). As far as I know, mammals in the NSR are Pleistocene and recent (wild and farm animals).

the top piece has joint articulating surfaces on it. at first glance it looked verty, but i'll go look at other possibilities and might or might not get back to you. the jaw is a jaw with broken-off teeth. mosasaur. all i've heard about the reworked mammal stuff is that it's pleistocene, and then of course you'll find recent stuff mixed in - turtles, cow, horse, pig, etc.

edited to add - i don't know - maybe the proximal end of a humerus or something. if it isn't vert, then it seems like it should be where an upper appendicular bone joins the body...

Thanks for the info!

The Mos jaw must have been an early small one or a juvenile. That is some tiny teeth next to the 2 inchers I've seen.

Thanks for the info!

The Mos jaw must have been an early small one or a juvenile. That is some tiny teeth next to the 2 inchers I've seen.

well, yeah, either that, or i'm totally wrong, which is the other distinct possibility.

it's not that there weren't other very toothy cretaceous fish. but the jaw of that is fairly massive-looking and the broken-off teeth look mos-ish, except for the unusual small size, so what the heck.

now i'm second-guessing myself. i always do that when nobody jumps on the post and screams, "you're WRONG, tracer! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!" )what's with the freakin' capital letters? did somebody hack my account? is this really me?(

maybe it was a pachynondermrhizodus or something -

look at the upper right drawing on this link

ok, what other than pachy, enchodus, and x-fish was large and toothy and mosasaur-mimicking back when the north sulphur interior seaway was teeming with sea monsters?

can you just freaking imagine? sailors back then probably had eighteen life-boats strung all around their big boats in case they started sinking. wonder if anybody ever fell in and had to watch the giant sea monsters fight over them before they got chomped.

ok, what other than pachy, enchodus, and x-fish was large and toothy and mosasaur-mimicking back when the north sulphur interior seaway was teeming with sea monsters?

This PDF has a list of some of the fishes known from the Western Interior Seaway.

Annotated checklist of fossil fishes from the Smoky Hill Chalk of the Niobrara Chalk (Upper Cretaceous) of Kansas

Other large and toothies could be plesiosaur, pliosaur, ichthyosaur.

Edited by LanceHall

now i'm second-guessing myself. i always do that when nobody jumps on the post and screams, "you're WRONG, tracer! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!" )what's with the freakin' capital letters? did somebody hack my account? is this really me?(

maybe it was a pachynondermrhizodus or something -

look at the upper right drawing on this link

can you just freaking imagine? sailors back then probably had eighteen life-boats strung all around their big boats in case they started sinking. wonder if anybody ever fell in and had to watch the giant sea monsters fight over them before they got chomped.

Yup, it does look very similar. Got a link to more drawings like that? Oceans of Kansas has some, but I like the close view this one has.

texaswoodie, do you have a side view pic? Sometimes the bone texture can assist an ID...I'm leaning toward fish.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks. Those views look more like the flaky texture of Cretaceous fish bone. In addition to the OOK pics of Pachyrizodus, below is a pic of a partial Xiphactinus maxilla (4-5" long) that have similarities to your find.

post-420-12553800398236_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

That's either a Xiphactinus or Pachyrhizodus jaw fragment. Nice! If the teeth are all the same size, I'd go with Pachy...different sizes, X-fish. From what I can tell from the photo, it looks like Pachy.

wow - i just kinda squeaked outta that one, sort of. i've been rong too much lately. reminds me of the bisony deer debacle a while back. thought i'd never live that one down...OOPS, um, look! halley's comet! <pointing at the sky as he snoopy moonwalks out of the topic>

Wow, very cool. The two that are showing are about the same size. There is a socket without a tooth that looks a little larger.

This started me looking through my bone box and apparently I have several fish bones and didn't know it. :blink:

Edited by texaswoodie

Here is another one to compare it to also..At first I thought it was a Xiphactinus,but my bubble got popped when X-man ID'd it as a Pachy.It came from the same river as yours Curt.

If I remember correctly JohnJ ID'd it as fish due to the flakiness of the outer skin on the bone.I know there is a word for the outer skin that is left on a fossilized bone????

post-417-12553885637129_thumb.jpgpost-417-12553885820227_thumb.jpgpost-417-12553885985355_thumb.jpg

Awesome jaw John!

You always find the neatest stuff Barry. I'm going to have to rub shoulders with you more often. ;)

Awesome jaw John!

You always find the neatest stuff Barry. I'm going to have to rub shoulders with you more often. ;)

Thanks Curt,but if you really want to find the goodies you need to rub shoulders with JJ and DW. My neat finds don't come as often as theirs ;) You are however welcome to tag along anwhere that I go.Of course as long as you bring me a cabachon for each outing :lolu: