Rare Texas Find...?

Tracer Jr.

hey guys, i'm thinking i've found a three-toed horse tooth, but not sure. just wondering what yall thought.

post-936-12552283450786_thumb.jpg

post-936-12552284413661_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tracer Jr.

Guest Smilodon

awesome! any idea as to what genus/species or is it impossible to tell just by the tooth?

The teeth are the best way to identify genus/species of these horses. I'll start off with - it's an upper, but you will have to get the genus/species from someone else. See that little ridged circlely thing on the chewing surface (isolated protocone), that's your dead giveaway :lolu:, get it, dead? to most 3-toed horses.

Edited by Smilodon

Tracer Jr. Congratulations.... sounds like a rare find... ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

i'm not sure how rare the animal was, but i am sure how rare its representation in my collection is. once again, tj skunks and totally demoralizes his father.

hipparion? middle-miocene? all i know is if i'd ridden it, my feet would have dragged the ground.

my plan to get even with tj involves an elaborate hoax involving a purchased mammoth humerus (on-jay, oo-yah istening-lay?), a purchased clovis point (i'll save money by just buying a broken back half), and a dremel tool and some mildly-deranged glue (cheaper than crazy glue, and at least half as sticky).

put it all together, and what do you get? tracer happening upon a giant mammoth bone with a paleo artifact embedded in it! hah!

hope tj still has me blocked on the forum. ya'll don't tell him my plan...