The Johnny Wad Of Plant Fossils

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

A friend recently sent this photo of yt to me from a Tucson past. I don't remember the fossil or what it was or where it came from. Anybody?

post-2027-12552770459418_thumb.jpg

A friend recently sent this photo of yt to me from a Tucson past. I don't remember the fossil or what it was or where it came from. Anybody?

post-2027-12552770459418_thumb.jpg

I can't help, Smiley. I'm too busy cleaning up my desk after spitting coffee all over it reading your title! :D:D:D

Guest Smilodon

I can't help, Smiley. I'm too busy cleaning up my desk after spitting coffee all over it reading your title! :D:D:D

I love spit takes. :thumbsu:

• 2 weeks later...

Smilodon, It is indeed stunning. Does anyone have any more info on this specimen? Is it real? I've been digging around in posts about past shows in the area but have found nothing showing it...I plan to contact some folks in the local clubs for some help on what they may remember. I thought it might be a Cordaite and I asked one of the Curators of Fossil Plants at the Smithsonian what he thought and the response was yes, more specifically--a cordaitalean branch. Question is it real? Has anyone possibly written anything about it?...Please advise if anyone knows anything more concrete about it...I'll pass along to the experts. Super specimen....I hope its real! Thanks for posting. Regards, Chris

I'm not much of a plant guy but HOLY snarge! That is amazing, I can't even fathom what it would be like to find something like that or even what it would be worth.

I believe Brock has worked on a big fossil palm tree of some sort, and I believe it is even bigger than this fossil I'll have to get him to tell the story behind it.

That is a absolutely stunning fossil though.

Thats a fantastic specimen.... very nice..........even the rock comes in two pieces for easy transportation lol..... whoever prepped that did a really good job....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Guest Smilodon

Smilodon, It is indeed stunning. Does anyone have any more info on this specimen? Is it real? I've been digging around in posts about past shows in the area but have found nothing showing it...I plan to contact some folks in the local clubs for some help on what they may remember. I thought it might be a Cordaite and I asked one of the Curators of Fossil Plants at the Smithsonian what he thought and the response was yes, more specifically--a cordaitalean branch. Question is it real? Has anyone possibly written anything about it?...Please advise if anyone knows anything more concrete about it...I'll pass along to the experts. Super specimen....I hope its real! Thanks for posting. Regards, Chris

Chris,

Usually I remember any significant fossils from Tucsons past, but I have no memory of my friend taking the picture, the fossil, or even where it was. The background is totally unfamiliar. It has to have been in the last 5 years, as I still have that hat. I'm sure I asked if the fossil was real and how much, but I'm drawing a complete blank.

Chris,

Usually I remember any significant fossils from Tucsons past, but I have no memory of my friend taking the picture, the fossil, or even where it was. The background is totally unfamiliar. It has to have been in the last 5 years, as I still have that hat. I'm sure I asked if the fossil was real and how much, but I'm drawing a complete blank.

Smilodon, thanks for the response. I'll keep snooping around...will post anything I find....Regards, Chris