Artifact?

edd

i know it's not a fossil but...is it a native american artifact? like a beed they wear around their necks or something? came from Gainesville Fla??

post-1674-12552938365024_thumb.jpg

Edited by edd

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

I don't know if it is an artifact or not but I can tell you that I have 30-40 small rocks with nice round holes in them from the creeks in Summerville. I do not think they are artifacts made by ancient peoples but that doesn't mean that they weren't used by ancient peoples as ornaments. I recall hearing something about them being related to worm holes in mud that eventually became rock, or some such thing.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

some1? :)

A few photos under different lighting conditions may get more responses...one photo with super high contrast makes almost everything a wild guess. :unsure:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I found pottery in one of the creeks on the north side of town. I can't verify that it is an artifact but it sure looks possible that it was part of a necklace. Have you tried contacting the University of Florida?

Be true to the reality you create.

more photos, different angles....this is the only one that i found in this creek,i havent seen any like this anymore or close to it. i found pottery and an arrowhead tho...

post-1674-12553709376144_thumb.jpg

post-1674-12553709805611_thumb.jpg

post-1674-12553710002442_thumb.jpg

Edited by edd

more photos, different angles....this is the only one that i found in this creek,i havent seen any like this anymore or close to it.

Not sure , it could be a worm hole ? :unsure:

It's my bone!!!

Good pics, edd. I know some of the difficulty photographing small objects. Do you have any guesses as to the material? Is the hole cylindrical or cone shaped?

the hole is cylindrical and it doesnt go straight,it goes a bit downwards,at an angle...material,mmm, it almost feels like clay that's been baked

It's the hole that makes this an interesting puzzle...without it...not interesting. ;) The 2nd pic in your last group almost has the look of sand impregnated resin ( :unsure: anson?). In my opinion, the cylindrical hole suggests machine made. A cone shaped hole would be more common for an artifact (considering the tools they used). It may stay in your "puzzle pile"....

not that you mentioned it,sand impregnated resin "feels" right as the material...i dunno :)

Well, Ima newbie here, but I'll throw in my two cents with hopes it is of some help. I am pretty familiar with artifacts. Not terribly familiar with drilled artifacts, but every bead, gorget, pendant I have seen in over 25+ years of collecting have been drilled as JohnJ said, and in profile look like two cones coming together at their points. I will however add that some artifacts, particularly bannerstones were drilled with cylindrical holes using cane. Partially drilled pieces have been found which supposedly substantiate this.

I'm gonna pass along a couple pictures of my "mystery" pieces. The first two pics are of a shell I found and thought was an artifact. It was pretty much shot down with the worm-hole thing. I have since found these with not only one, but several holes and partial holes in them. The hole looks really good, and it would have made a nice pendant,I guess, but I gotta go natural causes on this one. The material, I think gives that one away.

The other piece is some unknown material, fairly light,but not really chalky, and seems to soak up water like a sponge. One of the first guys I showed it to told me it was a grinding rock, like for a modern drill. Kinda hurt my feelings, but I thought I knew better. I have never got a definite artifact id on it, it's been years now, but did finally get a couple votes for possible spindle-whirl. Awfully light for a flywheel to me. The staining on it makes me think it was suspended and worn. Wishful thinking maybe. It is cylindrically drilled. The material, I think, as with your item, is probably the best clue.

We find a lot of material similar to yours with a thin dark outer layer and natural holes. Always very brittle, and not nearly as symmetrical a hole as in your piece. They are always caused naturally by erosion, which I would have to discount almost completely on your piece. The wormhole idea I cannot discount, but doubt due to the material's appearance and the size of the piece. Density? Could those worms go through any material?

As with my white rock, I would lean heavily toward artifact leaving some shadow of a doubt for the unknowns on material and worm holes until further notice.

Long-winded ain't I? I get excited about neat old stuff. Sorry 'bout that. Hope it was some help or gave you an idea. The unknowns are all that keep me going sometime. Lot of 'em around me. Enjoy.

post-2272-12555009102032_thumb.jpg

post-2272-12555009283761_thumb.jpg

post-2272-1255500949543_thumb.jpg

Figgin, is the disk material native to your area? Is it a ceramic insulating disk? I would use staining as a low level diagnostic clue...too many variables. Like you said, where you're looking it could be recent to antique. ;)

If the object is clay and the hole seems to be centered nicely I would not at all discount that it is a clay bead made by Native Americans. I had found some for the university that looks like that along with some animal shaped ones but I found them in a different state. Hold onto it in your collection.

Edited by lawooten

The best days are spent collecting fossils

i guess ill never know :)

I would vote for artifact. Inside hole is too regular to be water formed, if it was a worm hole, when the piece was nubbed down to its present shape by erosive forces, it probably would have worked on the worm hole also. Is it perhaps amber? It may have been polished smooth at one point and used as decoration, and has since become pitted. My opinion and fifty cents will get you a soda in the teachers lounge.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Well, Ima newbie here, but I'll throw in my two cents with hopes it is of some help. I am pretty familiar with artifacts. Not terribly familiar with drilled artifacts, but every bead, gorget, pendant I have seen in over 25+ years of collecting have been drilled as JohnJ said, and in profile look like two cones coming together at their points. I will however add that some artifacts, particularly bannerstones were drilled with cylindrical holes using cane. Partially drilled pieces have been found which supposedly substantiate this.

I'm gonna pass along a couple pictures of my "mystery" pieces. The first two pics are of a shell I found and thought was an artifact. It was pretty much shot down with the worm-hole thing. I have since found these with not only one, but several holes and partial holes in them. The hole looks really good, and it would have made a nice pendant,I guess, but I gotta go natural causes on this one. The material, I think gives that one away.

The other piece is some unknown material, fairly light,but not really chalky, and seems to soak up water like a sponge. One of the first guys I showed it to told me it was a grinding rock, like for a modern drill. Kinda hurt my feelings, but I thought I knew better. I have never got a definite artifact id on it, it's been years now, but did finally get a couple votes for possible spindle-whirl. Awfully light for a flywheel to me. The staining on it makes me think it was suspended and worn. Wishful thinking maybe. It is cylindrically drilled. The material, I think, as with your item, is probably the best clue.

We find a lot of material similar to yours with a thin dark outer layer and natural holes. Always very brittle, and not nearly as symmetrical a hole as in your piece. They are always caused naturally by erosion, which I would have to discount almost completely on your piece. The wormhole idea I cannot discount, but doubt due to the material's appearance and the size of the piece. Density? Could those worms go through any material?

As with my white rock, I would lean heavily toward artifact leaving some shadow of a doubt for the unknowns on material and worm holes until further notice.

Long-winded ain't I? I get excited about neat old stuff. Sorry 'bout that. Hope it was some help or gave you an idea. The unknowns are all that keep me going sometime. Lot of 'em around me. Enjoy.

I would vote that your white disc is a sandstone grinding disc, commonly used to sharpen implements until 1920's or so. I have one at my house that is hand spun using a crank while sharpening. If it is indeed sandstone, that would be my bet.

ashcraft, brent allen

My degree is in Archeology and my studies were in Pre-History Native Americans if that helps with my answer.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

i worked in the Archeology field for awhile and my dad still works for the museum,it's in Europe tho but i've seen many beeds so thats why i think this might be one. i just hoped that some1 else had or has something like i have. for now ill put in the the native american pile ;)