Artifact?

edd

Ah so your in retail fossil and artifacts then. And no you don't need a piece of paper to boost your ego.

Edited by lawooten

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Ah so your in retail fossil and artifacts then. And no you don't need a piece of paper to boost my ego.

Yeah, I'm one of the "bad guys". I don't get paid by a contractor to dig a few holes, pocket the artifacts, and then state that there are no artifacts on the property.

Wow I feel attacked, you are assuming a lot about me in that sentence, and you are wrong. I feel it is important to document finds but I also believe in private ownership of artifacts and fossils also. I have no objection to you collecting them as long as it is not done on government properties or protected sites. Now the government see it differently though. If you have permission to hunt on private property I feel what you collect with the owners blessing is yours. So please do not assume that we are all the same because you do not know me.

One thing that always amazes me is how many times people (professionals and amateurs) FIRST presume that something "marginal" is an ancient artifact. The same is true for fossils. It's like if you go fossil hunting and find something you can't explain, then it's a fossil; or if you are looking for artifacts in active erosional environments (creek, river, beach, etc.), well, that clearly "man-made" object is an ANCIENT artifact. It is truely a fascinating phenomena to witness. It's even more bizarre when you've seen yourself do the same thing. :blush:

<deeeeep breath>

Identifying something in archaeology or paleontology is EXTREMELY contextual. Things can have similar shapes that are completely unrelated in time in archaeology. In paleontology, identifying something fundamentally on shape will consistently keep you misinformed. Start from what you do know. "I found this on a beach. It came directly from site debris. The local area has these formations. ..etc." To me, it's a process of elimination and deduction, where presuming too many variables just turns into a wild guess and the value thereof. :D

So without credentials, standing on a wobbly cardboard box:

Edd - Your little "bead thing" looks modern for reasons stated earlier.

Figgin - The shell looks like it was gnawed by another marine creature, as evidenced by the 2 previous attempts on the shell...leaving your shell gorget with a couple of half..halfway attempts on it wouldn't look cool. The disk looks too "machined", and there are too many other historical things it could be rather than ancient. If you pulled directly out of a site full of artifacts, then I might still have a few more questions. Besides, it's darn near the diameter of a coffee cup.

By the way, there is nothing that can help this answer. B)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Wow I feel attacked, you are assuming a lot about me in that sentence, and you are wrong. I feel it is important to document finds but I also believe in private ownership of artifacts and fossils also. I have no objection to you collecting them as long as it is not done on government properties or protected sites. Now the government see it differently though. If you have permission to hunt on private property I feel what you collect with the owners blessing is yours. So please do not assume that we are all the same because you do not know me.

Not attacking, just pointing out the extreme corruption within the party that you chose to associate yourself. I was not the one who tried to "one-up" everyone else on this thread.

I collect on both state and privately owned lands. I have a permit to collect on state lands and report everything that I find.

Edited by PrehistoricFlorida

in this creek where i found this bead found an arrowhead as well and a few pieces of pottery, i dont know if this information helps.ill keep it anyway...just incase.

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

I chose the area of my degree because I was raised for a time in Oklahoma with my grandparents on the land my grandfather grew up on and his parents before him. On his land, we were always finding Native American artifacts and I became fascinated on finding out that my great grandmother was full Cherokee and had lived on this same land. As in all profession, even retail there are good people and bad people. It is not what you do it is how you do it that separates one from the other don’t you think?

...I think....this is an artifact.

post-420-12555619743921_thumb.jpg

Why?

It was found in an erosional environment. It is sandstone. The mark could have come from an old break that was worn down. It could have been the result of a prop cut, or gouged when someone beached their boat. Yet, the reason I think it is an artifact is because it came from a waterfront site that was littered with lithic flakes, broken hammerstones, chert "cores" and other broken lithic artifacts. It's most likely an abrading stone used in the production of stone artifacts; and that is a deduction based on the context of this find. If I'd found it next to a boat ramp or some other place, I couldn't be that sure of its origin.

Edd - I'd hang on to it until you can borrow a microscope, or high power loupe. Either one should help you get a "bead" on it. ;)

john -

i was wondering where i dropped my abrader. i'm glad you found it, because it was my favorite one. i really like it when you post stuff, because you have an interesting manner of posting, and you have a good eye and a good mind for assessing things, and you're respectful in the manner you guide others toward the light...

oh, and you're humerus.

and you woehr dan out.

Hey I'm not that Woehrn out...I'm off sick today but I still managed to bag some Georgetown ammonites and echinoids in the San Antonio area....don't tell my boss.....mua ha ha!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

john -

i was wondering where i dropped my abrader. i'm glad you found it, because it was my favorite one....

Well that's just great...just when...great...(muttering)...figure out....

<walking off with a crushed cardboard box wrapped around his leg>

Hey I'm not that Woehrn out...I'm off sick today but I still managed to bag some Georgetown ammonites and echinoids in the San Antonio area....don't tell my boss.....mua ha ha!

you're so funny.