Mosasaur And ?

Lindsey

These two teeth were found on our last trip to the NSR. I've already found 1 Mosasaur tooth in such great shape and at 1in in length it was much to my delight that we came across these teeth, the round tooth I was believing to be Mosasaur so if I'm wrong please let me know, but the other tooth has me stumped as it is very flat. Didn't have any quarters in my possession so I resorted to using a nickle for size reference. The side in the first picture has a ridge and the side in the second picture is reversed.

post-2208-12554257178024_thumb.jpg

post-2208-12554257296845_thumb.jpg

post-2208-1255426018423_thumb.jpg

post-2208-12554262736502_thumb.jpg

post-2208-12554263246058_thumb.jpg

post-2208-12554265535715_thumb.jpg

the other tooth isn't a tooth - it's bone. if you look at the broken ends, on that one you'll notice a bunch of tiny "pockets" or voids, kind of looks like a sponge. that is a dead giveaway that it's bone. you will also notice that the texture of the outer bone is somewhat different than the texture of a tooth. unfortunately, the piece of bone isn't really complete enough to say definitively what it's from, but you can look at a picture of a skeleton and see which pieces on which bones are of similar shape and size.

Yeah I feel a bit dumb now, my eyes are not as good as they should be with contacts in and am still trying to find a good magnifying glass, but I see that now. I think I was just being hopeful but found it odd that is was flat. Am I correct on the tooth or is it from something else, I'm still learning and it's hard for me to tell due to the condition it's in. Thank you for the info.

looks more croc than mosasaur to me. mos teeth are oval in the cross section.

Given the location you found it, is is probably what you first thought. It still is a little hard to tell because of the lighting. Your welcome to post another picture of your finds :) I have a really bad camera and sometimes I have to wait for the sun to come out to get a good shot. ;)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

We have a place called Micro Center here in the parts where I live.They have been selling a glass loupe that magnifies to 10x.They have a killer deal on it for $1.99.I'll pick one up for you and if we meet in the field one day I'll hand it over to ya.It's cheap enough that you can throw it into your backpack and not worry about the outcome.

yes, although the lighting in the photos isn't ideal to tell, the first fossil looks like a tooth.

Yeah I'm still trying to learn to get my lighting right, not many bright lights in the house. Yeah I knew the first fossil was a tooth as soon as I found it lol.

Given the location you found it, is is probably what you first thought. It still is a little hard to tell because of the lighting. Your welcome to post another picture of your finds :) I have a really bad camera and sometimes I have to wait for the sun to come out to get a good shot. ;)

Sun??? what is that again, I think I need a reminder lol. If it ever shows itself again I will try taking a few pictures outside and see how good I can get it.

We have a place called Micro Center here in the parts where I live.They have been selling a glass loupe that magnifies to 10x.They have a killer deal on it for $1.99.I'll pick one up for you and if we meet in the field one day I'll hand it over to ya.It's cheap enough that you can throw it into your backpack and not worry about the outcome.

Sounds great, the one I have is I believe 5x magnification (can't remember) and I still have to squint because it's just too small.