Shell Encased In Stone

figginsdiggins

We find lots of shell fossils when we're out. Some large stones completely covered with flat muscle type shells most too large to carry home. This is the only shell fossil we've found so far that is round like a snail shell. Not much to go on here I know, just curious as to a little more specific id than what I've been calling a snail. Is that basically all it is?

post-2272-12554946557287_thumb.jpg

General location (county, state - not enough to give away your spot of course) and geologic formation and period (if you know it) will help. An interesting specimen.

General location (county, state - not enough to give away your spot of course) and geologic formation and period (if you know it) will help. An interesting specimen.

Hey Mike, we're just a bunch of creek and gravel bar walkers in west-central Tenn. Mostly pleistocene bone, but We find everything from yesterday to way back. From what I'm learning it's pretty hard to pin down any geologic formation or period with such. It's a real hodge-podge. I call it like walking into a time machine. Never know what we're gonna get or how old.

Kinda fun though, huh?

Cant tell you much about it except that I like it and think its a definite keeper. Nice find.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Hey Mike, we're just a bunch of creek and gravel bar walkers in west-central Tenn. Mostly pleistocene bone, but We find everything from yesterday to way back. From what I'm learning it's pretty hard to pin down any geologic formation or period with such. It's a real hodge-podge. I call it like walking into a time machine. Never know what we're gonna get or how old.

The stream can only cut through so much strata. Since you are south of the glacial margins* it can be narrowed down to one of three things: eroded from one of the bedrock formations the stream cuts through, Pleistocene, or recent. Since it's still in a matrix I would check some geologic maps and see what that stream cuts through. Tennessee has had it's share of mining and I bet you can get some decent maps from the state geo survey. It really is a nice fossil and it would be great to know more about it.

* If you are in an area with glacial deposits it can be from anywhere the glacier pushed from. By example I have a really nice Petroskey(sp?) stone (Michigan) I found in a gravel bar in SW Ohio.

i like it too. i'd call it a "whirleygig", though, because "snail" sounds too common and "gastropod" sounds too stuffy and high-browed.