Tooth Id

Lindsey

Both of these teeth are distinct from the rest of our teeth. The first tooth is like the others in it's shape but it's red color sets it apart, we don't have a single tooth in our collection that matches it. The second tooth is similar to some of our others except something about it's enamel just looks quite different. Can anyone tell me what shark these come from? That is a dime next to them for reference, it was late when I took the pictures and was getting quite fed up with my camera, so I apologize if the lighting is bad, I try lol.

post-2208-12554965677999_thumb.jpg

post-2208-1255496586975_thumb.jpg

post-2208-12554966019938_thumb.jpg

post-2208-12554966178091_thumb.jpg

Both of these teeth are distinct from the rest of our teeth. The first tooth is like the others in it's shape but it's red color sets it apart, we don't have a single tooth in our collection that matches it. The second tooth is similar to some of our others except something about it's enamel just looks quite different. Can anyone tell me what shark these come from? That is a dime next to them for reference, it was late when I took the pictures and was getting quite fed up with my camera, so I apologize if the lighting is bad, I try lol.

Dumb as a rock on teeth, but I'm going to risk totally embarrassing myself: I believe 2nd from the left is a mako.

(ducking)... :blink:

Dumb as a rock on teeth, but I'm going to risk totally embarrassing myself: I believe 2nd from the left is a mako.

(ducking)... :blink:

you oughta be ducking, mr.!

I think de first one from the left is a Serratolamna serrata ( Cretaceous ).

The second tooth from the left could be an Archaeolamna kopingensis ( also Cretaceous ).

Frederik

Edited by Notorynchus

The second tooth from the left could be an Archaeolamna kopingensis ( also Cretaceous ).

Ya know, I ALMOST said that myself... :P

Give a dummy some credit. At least I know there are no serrations on a mako!

Edited by Ron E.

I think the big one is a Scapanorhynchus lateral. But the root is so worn I can't tell if it had a nutritive groove or not. Archaeolomna sounds right for the other.

Ya know, I ALMOST said that myself... :P

Give a dummy some credit. At least I know there are no serrations on a mako!

ron - she's been posting stuff from the cretaceous. makos didn't hang with mosasaurs.

ron - she's been posting stuff from the cretaceous. makos didn't hang with mosasaurs.

No prob, T. My skin is 2" thick (just like my skull) and ya gotta start out with baby steps. :D

No prob, T. My skin is 2" thick (just like my skull) and ya gotta start out with baby steps. :D

true enough, buddy. i keep meaning to study up on shark teeth myself, but i've been learning a little bit through osmosis just by being here. but one of the tricks i've been trying to teach myself the most for all my i.d. issues is to momentarily ignore the morphology of whatever i'm looking at and ask myself where it probably came from geologically, and what fauna inhabited that area at that time. sometimes i get clues that way, or from other stuff i've found in the area.

good hunting to you!

I agree with Archaeolamna (with a broken root lobe) for the second tooth. I can also agree that the first is possibly a worn lateral Scapanorhynchus (Goblin shark), however it could also be a sand-tiger.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

The first tooth is possibly Scapanorhynchus texanus the second one is possibly Archaeolamna kopingensis picture is of what I believe your second tooth might be but its a tough Id due to the condition of the teeth post-2185-12555278598728_thumb.jpg

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein

This is why I love this place, so knowledgeable and fun, thank you for the info. I do want to add the first 2 pictures are the same tooth and the second two pictures are the same tooth, it's hard to tell but it sounds like ya'll were talking about the first two pics lol. My bad if not, I do myself try to learn from every ID so I can try to train myself to know different teeth.