Unknown Tooth Fragment And Possible Bone Pieces?

newton1

Does anyone know what kind of tooth this is and if these are bone fragments and if so what kind of animal would it be? These were found in gravel near the brazos river in palo pinto county, texas. I appreciate your help in regards to this.

Thanks,

Chris

post-2365-12555026490369_thumb.jpg

post-2365-12555029028189_thumb.jpg

post-2365-12555030546411_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know what kind of tooth this is and if these are bone fragments and if so what kind of animal would it be? These were found in gravel near the brazos river in palo pinto county, texas. I appreciate your help in regards to this.

Thanks,

Chris

I'm not good enough at this to know any technical names but the two red pieces look like what I find in the NSR all the time which I believe to be pieces of shell. I could be wrong but that's where the pros come in ;)

hi, and welcome. the brazos up in palo pinto county sounds like a really great place to be.

the pieces are fragments of teeth. the long ones like that will normally end up being horse, and the shorter ones probably bovid (bison or cow). some teeth end up very beautiful shades of red/orange. sometimes the fragments of enamel are really too small to identify for certain what animal they came from. figuring out age can also be a problem. but at any rate, keep picking up the unusual-looking stuff and posting it. you never know what you might find.

also, check the roadcuts around that area for marine invertebrate fossils from several hundred million years ago. lots of cool stuff in palo pinto county.

if you're going to nsr-type places, pieces of shell will usually either be limestoney looking, nacre-ish (pearly) looking, or whitish, chalky looking. oh, and black, phosphatic internal molds, and red-bed sandstoney looking.

but they won't be like tooth enamel.