OH what We will do to find some rocks!

ynot

24 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Good point. And speaking of good points, you've pulled some real beauties out of that hill side. This thread has been almost like a really good episodic show... waiting for the next exciting installment, with all the twists (backhoe breakages, critter tracks) needed to make it even more exciting. :default_clap2::popcorn:

Thank You!:D

Was looking at one of the crystals pulled from the last hole and found this neat inclusion, thought some of Y'all might like to see it.

It is only 1/8 inches wide.

5d8710066c4f0_rutilestacka.thumb.png.7f678a2131e2fe98e8e994357f359d2d.png

• I found this Informative 6

Interesting how the needles mostly grow at 60° angles to one another. Are they following the crystal structure of the quartz, or something else? :zzzzscratchchin:

• I found this Informative 1

I think it is rutile.

Coco

• I found this Informative 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

7 hours ago, Randyw said:

WOW! THat looks Amazing!

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Interesting how the needles mostly grow at 60° angles to one another. Are they following the crystal structure of the quartz, or something else? :zzzzscratchchin:

That is the twinning nature / habit of rutile.

1 hour ago, Coco said:

I think it is rutile.

Coco

Yes, the yellow needles are rutile, but there are several other minerals / crystals in the cluster.

Iron pyrite, hematite, dolomite, muscovite, adularia and a couple I am unsure of their identity.

• I found this Informative 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well, We finally got back out there and spent the first part of day 30 returning the hill to its original slope and spreading straw.

Then We moved the operation to another part of the claim. This meant that the backhoe had to go back out to the main road and down the hill to the lower access road, then out that road to the lower half of the claim. The wood cutters had cleared this road about halfway to the claim and it took 3 hours to clear the rest of the road from the logjam that blocked it.

DSCF6188.thumb.JPG.8c14c54c00cc2350e21b267d9bff8c84.JPGDSCF6189.thumb.JPG.d475c4cd46c1c12b9d0dd418abc74644.JPGDSCF6190.thumb.JPG.e1c10c2f443998d1d055779c296610cf.JPG

DSCF6191.thumb.JPG.745a5f0001378c026b763e90322a664a.JPG

When We got to the claim (again) We used an old logging trail to start are work.

After clearing it all the way across the claim We started the trenching.

DSCF6192.thumb.JPG.340af7293f7b9ee8f68af8413f05acd8.JPGDSCF6193.thumb.JPG.0b4a00a0a1f9ab33072e113235b8fff4.JPG

We found a thin vein that had some small crystals  (<1/2 inch), some with rutile, but nothing big.

We continued to follow this vein on day 31 and again only found small crystals until the vein went into some hard rock the backhoe could not dig. So We continued to trench, but found nothing else by the end of the day, so filled the hole and went home.

If You look close You can see Our trucks in the trees behind the backhoe.

DSCF6195.thumb.JPG.d76e0feec62ec9b2b6ec9f88c0d6d63e.JPGDSCF6197.thumb.JPG.c55b4b923c9aefdd2f6b0ddf864a426e.JPGDSCF6198.thumb.JPG.a58bf2a71cc5acea29abb2b0b050130c.JPG

And this piece of the 3 inch thick vein came out with a nice little vug of crystals exposed.

DSCF6194.thumb.JPG.c34af05754b9b6852eafe32f733bd476.JPG

That’s a very promising piece of vein. There’s gotta be more where that came from!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

On 9/22/2019 at 2:10 AM, ynot said:

5d8710066c4f0_rutilestacka.thumb.png.7f678a2131e2fe98e8e994357f359d2d.png

Absolutely gorgeous:wub::envy:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

2 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

That’s a very promising piece of vein. There’s gotta be more where that came from!

I agree, but the rock is to hard for the backhoe to get through and I don't have a blasting permit.

Anything in that vein will have to wait for erosion to expose it.

2 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Absolutely gorgeous:wub::envy:

Thanks.

Day 32 digging with a backhoe on My claim.

It was not a great day, but it was a pleasant day (nice weather).

We dug a trench for 5.5 hours, found nothing and then another hydraulic hose failed. Took it off and went home.

Sorry, no pictures. But then there was nothing worth taking a picture of.

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Do you have any more prospects up there?

I hope so. That is what we are looking for with the trenching.

All of the known pockets have been dug out to the point We can not dig any more, so now We have to "explore" for a new pocket to dig.

It is kind of like looking for raisins in the bread pudding.

Day 33 digging with a backhoe on My claim.

We replaced the hose and continued the trenching, found nothing.

Filled the trench and called it a day after 6 hours. (Also spread a bunch of straw.)

Will be continuing this until We find another pocket of crystals or the weather chases Us off the mountain.

5 hours ago, ynot said:

Will be continuing this until We find another pocket of crystals or the weather chases Us off the mountain.

Hoping for the former. ;)

Cheers,

-Ken

Day 34 with a backhoe on My claim.

Spent most of the day cutting a trail across the claim and just a little time trenching. Found no quartz.

Still hopeful though......

Day 35 was  another pleasant day,  no crystals found after six hours of trenching, but the weather was nice and the bugs stayed away.

We did find some quartz- just no crystals.

On 10/7/2019 at 6:13 PM, ynot said:

We found a thin vein that had some small crystals  (<1/2 inch), some with rutile, but nothing big.

We continued to follow this vein on day 31 and again only found small crystals until the vein went into some hard rock the backhoe could not dig. So We continued to trench, but found nothing else by the end of the day, so filled the hole and went home.

If You look close You can see Our trucks in the trees behind the backhoe.

DSCF6195.thumb.JPG.d76e0feec62ec9b2b6ec9f88c0d6d63e.JPGDSCF6197.thumb.JPG.c55b4b923c9aefdd2f6b0ddf864a426e.JPGDSCF6198.thumb.JPG.a58bf2a71cc5acea29abb2b0b050130c.JPG

And this piece of the 3 inch thick vein came out with a nice little vug of crystals exposed.

DSCF6194.thumb.JPG.c34af05754b9b6852eafe32f733bd476.JPG

That last rutile and other association was crazy looking--very nice! So what do you do with this sort of find in the picture above with the staining? Is it still collectible with the staining? Can you remove that with some hardwater remover to cleanup or do you just leave alone and dont mess with? 

Regards, Chris 

19 hours ago, Plantguy said:

That last rutile and other association was crazy looking--very nice! So what do you do with this sort of find in the picture above with the staining? Is it still collectible with the staining? Can you remove that with some hardwater remover to cleanup or do you just leave alone and dont mess with? 

Regards, Chris 

Thanks, it is a nice inclusion. My partners got it in the split.

Usually it would go into the garden or be gifted to a child. The iron stain can be cleaned off with acid (rust away, oxalic or muriatic) or by leaving it in the weather for a year or two. It is a nice little piece, but of little interest to Me (I am looking for the larger {hopefully rutilated} crystals).

Day 36

When We left last time there was a nice quartz lead. Unfortunately it went nowhere and had no sign of crystal.

So after spending half the day following a dead end, We continued to trench. At the end of the day We uncovered another quartz lead. I hope this one does better than the last one.

Well, either way We will continue to look until the weather ends the digging season and chases Us off the mountain.