Ambridge Fossil Site

zoup

Hi I was up to the Ambridge Pa. site today and I found a few rock formations that had a thin outer coal line with what looked to have a sulfuretting color. When I split the rock there were these little crystals.

Does anyone know what mineral it is and how is it formed. Paul

post-2013-12555630070124_thumb.jpg

Edited by zoup

Hi I was up to the Ambridge Pa. site today and I found a few rock formations that had a thin outer coal line with what looked to have a sulfuretting color. When I split the rock there were these little crystals.

Does anyone know what mineral it is and how is it formed. Paul

I have never seen anything like it man thats cool now I want one lol I wonder how that would look cut and polished

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein

That's really wonderful! Must have been a surprise...

Maybe there's some pyrite involved?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's really wonderful! Must have been a surprise...

Maybe there's some pyrite involved?

Hi Auspex.

It was a suprise, It has a silver almost clear look to it like quarts, also its not inbeded in the rock, it seems to be a layer all its own. Paul. Also I found alot of this stuff up there today. Ozzy I can send you some if you like.

Edited by zoup

does it fizz in vinegar or acid? They might be some Calcite or Selenite deposited between very thin layers. I'm not sure of minerals associated with Coal, lots of different stuff happening there due to metamorphic action and acidity.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/