Need Help From Proboscidean People

32fordboy

Not sure if I asked this here before, but what kind of gomphotheres could this tooth be from? It has a different-than-usual shape. On most gomphothere teeth, the cusps seem to be more spread out and a bit shorter. The "tubes" on this tooth are all squished together and are tall. Unfortunately the person I bought it from had lost the locality info, but knew it was from one of the places on my ID card (below). Thanks for any help!

Nick

ID # MAMM PROB GOMP PLAT 001 Index # ______0128

Genus/species __________________gomphothere sp.

Common name ___________________________________

Period/Age ____________________________ Miocene

Rock Unit ________________any of the following:

______________________Dongxiang (Early Miocene)

____________________________Laogou (Middle Mio)

__________________________Liushu (Late Miocene)

Locality _______________________________ China

Collector ____________________ Date ___________

Notes _________________________________________

Info Code __________________________________21

post-741-12556630155709_thumb.jpg

post-741-12556631256302_thumb.jpg

post-741-12556631514363_thumb.jpg

hey, forget all that tooth stuff. i was looking at your hand-drawn ruler, and i'm fairly sure that some of those centimeter lines don't add up to 2.54 to the inch. plus, i'm innately suspicious of people using hand-drawn rulers to show scale on their specimens, not be cause i think they're cheating on the scale, but just because i want to use the word "innately" once in a while...

p.s. - nice tooth. tj doubtless would want it like he freaking wants everything on the planet causing a black hole in his dad's brown wallet

Not sure if I asked this here before, but what kind of gomphotheres could this tooth be from? It has a different-than-usual shape. On most gomphothere teeth, the cusps seem to be more spread out and a bit shorter. The "tubes" on this tooth are all squished together and are tall. Unfortunately the person I bought it from had lost the locality info, but knew it was from one of the places on my ID card (below). Thanks for any help!

Nick

Nick,

A friend was looking at that photo. He says it's Platybelodon grangeri.

I don't know a lot about those but it looks like a lower last molar that was still in the process of erupting - no wear on the back part.

I'm on the road so I don't have my references with me. You'll have to check to see if that's the Late Miocene species. Offhand, I think it is.

i thought the same thing. not because i know proboscideans but because the first line on your ID card. it reads, "ID # MAMM PROB GOMP PLAT 001 Index # ______0128"

so platybeledon was the first thing that i thought.

Brock

Thanks, guys. Actually, that number sequence on my ID card was meant to be temporary until the genus was determined (I needed to get it catalogued-I just chose Platybelodon 'cause it sounded good), but if it really is platybelodon, then that sure makes things easy.

Edited by 32fordboy