Plesiosaur Vert?

Tony Eaton

gallery_2139_547_44739.jpg

The only Kamp Ranch (middle Turonion / upper Cretaceous)collecting spots I know of are incredibly picked over. I went over two hours today with virtually no fossils found, and walking back to the car before dark in defeat before I realized the other teeth hunters overlooked this vertabra sitting right on top of the clay. Looks like a bull dozer pushed it along and dropped in where I found it (broken up a bit).

Anyway, I think it is a plesiosaur, perhaps Elasmosaurus? Curious what other opinions are.

Both sides are slightly concave. There is a nutrient "hole" on each side. As I have seen with Kamp Ranch xiphactinus verts I have found in years past, this vert too appears partially digested as it slants to one side like a partially melted candle.

Edited by Tony Eaton

I think it might be a plesiosaur vert. It sounds like you know X-fish, and if it's concave on both ends, and not X-fish that just about only leaves plesiosaur.

BTW I have a shark tooth place that gets picked over hard, and have found mosasaur verts that people have walked all around looking for just shark teeth.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Tony -

It looks a lot like a dinosaur vert that we found in Kansas a couple of years back. The one we found was a tail vert from a nodasaur - Niobrarasaurus. They are really rare. The slant you mention is what is making me think dino. You might send a picture to Mike Everhart at Oceans of Kansas. Here's a picture of ours. Donated to the Sternberg Museum in Hays, Kansas.post-98-12556998403541_thumb.jpg