Will Sunlight fade a fossil?

sneakyelf

Will sunlight fade a Green River fish? Or fossils in shale like a Delta, UT trilobite? 

A few spots in my house get about 30 min of evening sun and I'm wondering if it is safe to have a fossil in the line of fire?

Thanks

Some fossils will change color because of exposure to light, This effect is usually very fast after exposure (being dug up).

Others may deteriorate from long exposure (usually from the hot/cool cycle).

None of the pieces You mentioned are susceptible to these effects as far as I am aware.

• I found this Informative 1

Honestly, I don't know if it would damage them or not... but I think it is possible.  Light will degrade pigments over time, esp if it has UV in it like sunlight.  If I were you, I might consider moving them.  I would like to see what others say...

Sunlight is a factor in changing all of mother nature just like rain, wind, heat and cold.  Ive seen some fossils lose color/fade with sunlight.  Ive seen the brown rock from a layer in the GRF called blue stone actually turn blue with time, (one summer),  and even the fish bones will turn blue.  It may take time change your fossil fish so if it were me, I would keep it out of the sun.  Best of luck

RB

Trilobites from the Wheeler Shale won’t fade. GRF might have desiccation issues associated with direct sunlight. It’s probably best to keep them in the shade though.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I would not expose it to direct sunlight. Why risk it unless you think you might like the change?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Yeah, I would keep a fossil out of the sun.  Some fade and some darken.  

A paleontologist once told me that fossil leaves in a layer in the Goshen, Oregon area actually become more distinct from the matrix if you leave them in the sun.

In the late Bob Ernst's old "west side" quarry you could dig up a watermelon red C. hastalis and it would fade within seconds to that dark pearly color.