Coral on a Meg tooth: Fossil or modern?

aplomado

I have a megalodon tooth.  The seller said it was recovered by a diver in N. Carolina "from the Yorktown or Hawthorne formation."

It has a nice spot of coral on it.

Is there any way to know if the coral is modern or a fossil also?

my tooth.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Looks cool. I am used to seeing barnacles attached but not coral.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Yeah, this looks modern .. and if the teeth were found diving my understanding is that about 100% of the time there is cleaning that is involved.  Barnacles .. coral etc .. some of that cleaning will actually lighten the blade artificially if done too aggressively. Looks like the little coral polyp was allowed to remain for aesthetics of the piece.

Here is a typical post on the forum concerning a dive .. and the typical finds.

MegDiving.thumb.jpg.776958be0cd783ade0686a15201a8bf4.jpg

Here is a great blog post concerning 'controlled' test of what the one of the typical methods (involving vinegar) at  different concentrations and how it has the potential to alter or in some case damage the look of the blade.  Thus creating the typical off-white grey blade and darker root that you see sometimes with teeth found while diving.

cleaning-megalodon-teeth-dark-water-megs8.jpg.672456cb7ec4e3b1e584b1c3640a04ff.jpg

https://www.darkwatermegs.com/megalodon-teeth-information/vinegar-to-clean-fossilized-megalodon-shark-teeth/dangers-of-vinegar-to-clean-shark-teeth.html

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1