Good Fossil/geology Books?

Viking

Can anyone suggest a good fossil/geology book for a beginer? I am mainly interest in the NC,SC,VA area.

thanks all!

That is actually a fairly difficult question to answer because it is so broad. As far as ID, are you looking at invertebrates? The Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology is highly regarded. Vertebrates are another matter. Plants also. Fossil preparation has their own set of books, and you can find much on the internet. General geology versus local geology also requires different texts. I personally am into peer-reviewed articles on specific studies from my area, rewarding reading if you can handle the verbiage, and if you can find them.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

For inverts, "Index Fossils of North America" is hard to beat.

I've always enjoyed Case's "Pictorial Guide to Fossils" - it has a little of everything in it.

As Ashcraft said there is no one or two book that have all the answers you will find that your library grows as fast or faster then your fossil collection. Here are a few titles that might be of help.

The Roadside Geology Series for the state your hunting have proved to be a big help to me. As Auspex has pointed out before its for the layman but I am a layman when it comes to geology. There is tons of geology info on the net and thats were I get most of what I need.

For ID

The Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology

The Complete Guide to Fossils and Fossil Collecting by Steve Parker

It has 950 photos and good basic info

Discovering Fossils By Frank A Garcia And Donald Miller

Lots of illustrations by Jasper Burns

Vertebrate Fossils: A Neophytes Guide by Frank A Kocsis Jr

175 pages of pictures and ID's

The Collectors Guide to Fossil Sharks and Rays from the Cretaceous of Texas By Bruce Welton PhD Roger F Farish

It says Texas but is used by everyone for shark and ray ID

The Fossil Book by Carroll Lane Fenton & Mildred Adams Fenton

First published in 1958 updated in 1989 720 pages of pictures and basic info.

I got my 1989 copy for 2.00 from one of the online book sellers.

All of them can be bought used on line. If you can not find them pm me and I will send you the sellers I buy from

Hope this helps

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I will second what Brent Ashcraft said. In addition there are other resources you can use. i would recomend you use your local library. They may have some books that you like and may want to acquire for yourself. Also key is that you expressed interest in publicationsfor Va, NC, and SC. Also beginner books. I recommend you check out the websites of the Geological Serveys for each of those states. Go to www.geology.enr.state.nc.us for North Carolina; Go to www.dnr.sc.gov/geology/ for South Carolina; and go to www.dmme.virginia.gov for Virginia. At each of these site open their Publications tab or/and classroom resources tabs. Once you get past "beginner" I really recommend you get a copy of "Invertebrate Fossils" by Moore, Lalicker and Fischer if you are in to invertebrates. If you are into vertebrates then I can't help.

At your local library I have found "The Fossil Book" by Fenton and Fenton helpful as well as "A Pictorial Guide to Fossils" by Case. I hope this has been helpful.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

As in another question someone post in the fossil literature part,I will reccommend you a guide call "Paleozoic Fossils" (Schiffer Book for Collectors) by Bruce L. Stinchcomb.

Is a very nice book, with hundreds of pics an ID`s from fossils all around the world (but specially from the States)

As in another question someone post in the fossil literature part,I will reccommend you a guide call "Paleozoic Fossils" (Schiffer Book for Collectors) by Bruce L. Stinchcomb.

Is a very nice book, with hundreds of pics an ID`s from fossils all around the world (but specially from the States)

Good callout! Bruce has a whole series from the Paleozoic through the Mesozoic. (And many of the pix are from my collection). :D

Edited by Xiphactinus

Has he published more books? I`ve got the one I say, and the one called "World`s oldest fossils".

I am more interested on Neogene or Mesozoic (specially on Cretaceous than Paleozoic, but his books are very helpfull!).

Has he published more books? I`ve got the one I say, and the one called "World`s oldest fossils".

I am more interested on Neogene or Mesozoic (specially on Cretaceous than Paleozoic, but his books are very helpfull!).

Bruce has published 4 books total, one on Stromatolites, the second on the Paleozoic and two books on the Cretaceous, the first one is mostly fossils from Europe/West US, the second one has much more on the Midwest. The X-man does have several specimens in it, and low and behold, my best side is in there also as I was working through a deposit.

Bruce said that he is going to have two more books, both from the Cenozoic, the first one is due out around January, the second one is still being worked on. They are around $30, and have excellent pics and information.

Brent Ashcraft

Edited by ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen